S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m planning on putting a 4.3 vin w from a 98 Jimmy into a 2001 s10 pickup with a manual trans. Crankshafts are a different part number. Does anyone know if I will have issues with pilot bearing, clutch, trans install?

·
Been there Done it
7,051 Posts
Shouldn't be. If the one you are getting doesn't have a pilot bearing simply install one. I'm surprised the part numbers for the crank are different. Same engine. Just be careful not to put the pilot bearing too far in if it has the deep pilot hole.
You can see on the old one where it goes. It's 1/2" thick the hole can be nearly 1-1/2" deep on some cranks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks oldeerslayer. After some research I have found an answer. They take different pilot bearings with different dimensions. The pilot bearing for the 2001 (the larger of the two) will fit in the crank of the 98 but will not seat deep enough. The input shaft will bottom out before the bell housing meets the engine. The smaller pilot bushing for the 98 seats deeper in the smaller inner recess. It also has a smaller inner diameter than the 2001. My solution, unless my parts guy can find a bushing of proper dimensions, is to buy the bushing for the 98 and take it to the machine shop. I will end up with a somewhat thin bushing of .199” wall thickness, which I think is sufficient.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts