S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Weird idea but I want to be different with my ride, I want to swap in a different v6 but I don't really have any ideas what I can do, I was thinking maybe a 3.6 from a camaro (300HP v6 sounds perfect for an s10) Anybody have any suggestions? Don't want to build a 4.3 because it's a money pit of an engine to build for performance, would like to use my stock transmission but plan on a t56 in the future, maybe even a rotary s10 would be pretty cool but doubt I'd have the funds for that

·
time to get cereal
4,242 Posts
Stock transmission is going to be your problem, I doubt the 3.6L uses the SBC bellhousing pattern. Pretty sure 4.3L is the only V6 that does.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Stock transmission is going to be your problem, I doubt the 3.6L uses the SBC bellhousing pattern. Pretty sure 4.3L is the only V6 that does.
[/QUOTE
Damn that's a damper on the plans, I still want to have a 300HP v6 but building a 4.3 isn't really an ethical choice considering the power you get for the money you put in, looking like an ls swap is like the only real way to go

·
time to get cereal
4,242 Posts
The Pontiac G6 GXP used a 3.9L 60 degree V6 that should bolt up to a T5 with the metric bellhousing, though modding the FWD engine for RWD would take some fairly involved fab work.

Stock, that engine was good for 240hp and 240lb/ft. with a very wide power band.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There is a brand new 2.8L 4 cylinder Cummins diesel that I'm looking at for my truck, built specially for conversions. It is about the same size and weight as a V6. And in stock form, the same HP, but way more torque. It is probably tunable for more. A T-56 transmission should bolt up to it too according to my research. HOWEVER, it will cost about $7-8,000 just for the engine. And who knows how much for everything else. But, it's on my wish list for my '95 S10.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is a brand new 2.8L 4 cylinder Cummins diesel that I'm looking at for my truck, built specially for conversions. It is about the same size and weight as a V6. And in stock form, the same HP, but way more torque. It is probably tunable for more. A T-56 transmission should bolt up to it too according to my research. HOWEVER, it will cost about $7-8,000 just for the engine. And who knows how much for everything else. But, it's on my wish list for my '95 S10.
I was looking at those too, there's the 3.8 as well I was interested in cuz it makes like 40 more hp but a 2.8 would probably be pretty good too with some tuning

·
Registered
21 Posts
Buick 3.8 turbo a la Grand National and a TH-200-4R? If it will push a G-body it will push an S-10

·
time to get cereal
4,242 Posts
Buick 3.8 turbo a la Grand National and a TH-200-4R? If it will push a G-body it will push an S-10
He plans on going to a T56, why would he be interested in a crappy autotragic? 3.8s aren't bad but heavy as hell.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts