S-10 Forum banner

engine swap ?? for the gurus here

961 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  S10ConceptsTN 
#1 ·
Hey,
I'm working on a motor swap right now and I need to know a few things so I'll know what to look for.
First I'm going from a 2.8 TBI to a 4.3 TBI. I already have the engine, tranny, computer, wire harness (if I need it), exhaust, and the driveshaft if I need i also.
My question is this:
Do I need to replace my fuel pump with a different one, and also could I make the existing fuel line work with the bigger TBI? Right now it's running up behind the power steering pump to the fuel filter and then up to the TBI.
Also, Is it possible to use my existing wire harness or will I need to replace it?
Oh.. and 1 more thing. Does anyone know if I can keep the tranny Xmember in the same location and if the tranny mount pads are different.

I'm working now on getting the front core support with the right radiator and fan shroud..

THANKS a bunch in advance...

mike w.

#3 ·
It originally came out of my fiance's van she totalled which was an 86. The tranny came out of it too along with all the other parts I have. I also looked through my new LMC truck catalog and searched for the fuel pump info. All they have listed is the4cyl and 2.8. They also have info on the tank sizes. Mine's a 20 gall.

thanks
mike

#4 ·
i actually am finishing this exact thing up right now. except i went from an 88 tbi 2.8 to a 94 tbi 4.3. i couldnt use the same fuel lines primarily because the 94 had an inline filter and i remembered how much of a pain in the butthole it was to change my old filter by the power steering pump. so, in part personal pref there. my 4.3 has a stick whereas my 2.8 was an auto, and despite this fact my trans crossmember still matched and bolted PERFECTLY. this also meant that i could use the same driveshaft between the tail and diff. that was very exciting.
the fuel pump works fine so far, suprisingly in my application the plugs were even the same for the rear harness so it was just plug and play for me.
One thing that you WILL HAVE to change just a heads up, the engine mounts. they are a PITA to get off, drop the lower control arm to access the drivers side i think. the other side is cake. but yeah, change those since you are going from a 60* to a 90*. it would behoove you to switch out your trans mount with a new one too since you will have it out (better now than later). any questions just give me a hollah.

Shawn

#5 ·
Thanks for that info bro. I only hope that the auto tranny and 5spd tranny have the same underside.. and that the older 4.3 I'll be using has the same scenario LOL. If it does.. then I will ALSO be exstatic! lol
I already knew about the motor mount change, but didnt know itwas a pain to replace.. but now I do heh. Now I just have to wait on my friend to get back with me about some parts his uncle might have in his garage full of S=10 parts... If he does hook me up.. I'll be starting this swap REAL soon. I'm NOT working in the shop during the winter with NO heat source.

thanks again..

oh if you or anyone else think of anything not covered PLEASE feel free to help a brotha out..

later
mike

#6 · (Edited)
well my step father and i just did the 2.8 to 4.3 tbi and it works the balls lol.

ok this is just what i know. We changed every thing over just like you plan on doing so thats all good . you can leave the 2.8 rear end in if you want some steep gears that what i did only thing no pois yet. the spedo is all off because of the different gears so i have to figure that out just change the sensor i think but if you have any more ? i might be able to help. the mounts were not to bad we just drilled the passenger side out to switch the mounts because it did not have the access like the driver side .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.