S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 1986 4x4 automatic s10 with the 2.8 v6. Honestly its the truck I want, but it doesnt have the guts i want. I want to upgrade to a 4.3 out of a 91 I found, but I want to make sure everything will bolt directly. Will I need a different tranny? Bell housing? Anything? I know it will fit the engine mount, just not sure about the rest. Thanks in advance!

·
baby blue
922 Posts
The 2.8 and 4.3 don't really share anything. A v8 swap would be similar work, similar parts involved and a much better result.

But to answer the question, the trans will not work. You'd have to rework the exhaust, different radiator and possibly throttle cable.

If you get a doner truck, then you'll have everything you need at least

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Been there Done it
8,188 Posts
I agree. There are so many small parts that are different besides the mounts and trans that having a donor is the only way to do it right.
It's a fairly big job. Wiring, cooling, exhaust, fuel lines, oil pan if the engine isn't from a 4wd.
And since the 86 never had a 4.3 you'll need to replace the ECM. I think the 88 up also had the steering column moved outboard a bit to clear the 90° engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, another question for you guys. For now I'm keeping the 2.8, but I wanna put a cold air intake on it because why not. I found an intake I think will work, the edelbrock toker ll 3789, the only problem is it says its for 82 to 85, but to my knowledge that 60° 2.8 v6 is the same for the 86. Will this intake fit?

·
Been there Done it
8,188 Posts
Most CAI's are actually HAI's because they relocate the air filter in the warm air under the hood. On dyno tests they don't seem to make much of an improvement. Of course if it's the CAI's manufacturer doing the test then it helps tremendously. Funny how that works.
That 3789 will fit if you are taking a step backwards and going with a carburetor.
It is out of stock and appears to be just the top. The 3785 base is also out of stock. Combined if you can find them somewhere it's over $450 for an increase of 15 ft/lbs of torque,when combined with headers and a cam.Total will be over a grand. If you can find all the parts.
Not trying to rain on your parade, but it'll be cheaper to just buy a 4.3 truck and you'll gain a lot more power.
I remember when guys were putting 2 carbs and better heads on 49 Ford flatheads. They still lost to cars with Chevy 283's. Most gave up trying when the 327 came out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, I see. I knew I need the base as well, but I did not know it would have to be changed to carborated from tbi. I see now. Thank you again!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 1986 4x4 automatic s10 with the 2.8 v6. Honestly its the truck I want, but it doesnt have the guts i want. I want to upgrade to a 4.3 out of a 91 I found, but I want to make sure everything will bolt directly. Will I need a different tranny? Bell housing? Anything? I know it will fit the engine mount, just not sure about the rest. Thanks in advance!
Can I ask you a question?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts