S-10 Forum banner

Engine Size

990 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  1fast4by 
#1 ·
I'm about to aquire an 99 4.3 high output v6 engine

Can someone tell me the difrence in the regular and high output versions?

Also Its an automatic what can I expect for mpg?

Also there is 55,000 miles on it is there any big maintanence that needs to be done soon?,thanks to all replies

#4 ·
Highoutput is a W code in the vin.
Regular is an X code in the vin.

The difference is a slightly more aggresive cam, 10HP I believe.

#6 ·
8th digit is engine id, 10 is year

#7 ·
therefore you have the W engine which IS the high-output engine. look for anywhere between 13-25 miles per gallon depending on tune-up, driving style, location.

#8 ·
guhman2002 said:
therefore you have the W engine which IS the high-output engine. look for anywhere between 13-25 miles per gallon depending on tune-up, driving style, location.
That kind of scares me,i'm hoping to get atleast 20mpg,the only engine work that has been done is a cold air intake kit

So does that highout put engine decrease the gas mileage that much?

Also is the reliability going to be any diffrent,than an non highout put 4.3,thanks

#9 ·
no, they are basically the same, my cousin has an X code engine, and I have a W, when mine was stock I couldnt really notice a difference between the two.. I gave that wide range of gas mileage because it depends..

If you keep it well maintained and drive conservatively you will probably get 20+ MPG

#13 ·
w/ my 95 w i get anywhere from 15-19 but its bored .30 n' has an aggressive cam

#14 ·
devilman13xx said:
one thing you more than likely run into is a bogging stumble at low temps/rpms , it starting become a rather common problem but its mainyl just annoying. seems like everyone is working together to figure out what causes it and so far no clear answer lol
Well hopefully that shouldn't bother me too much. As long as its fine when it warms up

#15 ·
devilman13xx said:
one thing you more than likely run into is a bogging stumble at low temps/rpms , it starting become a rather common problem but its mainyl just annoying. seems like everyone is working together to figure out what causes it and so far no clear answer lol
Ive never had that happen to any of my engines or anyone else i know sporting a 4.3

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.