S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got home from picking up my new ‘97 S10. On the way home I noticed my temp gauge was running about 140 degrees. It was about -10 to -20 degrees today, the heater/defrost worked fine. Looking through the forum it’s leading me to believe that the gauge in the instrument cluster itself may be bad. If it was the thermostat I wouldn’t get heat correct?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
go to autozone, buy a 12 dollar mechanical tremp gauge, stick the probe inside on of your hoses, and read the actual engine temp..this will verify the engine/t stat is working, and then you can go forward with wiring/gauge/sending unit diagnosis

·
B4U Task Force Admin
27,640 Posts
Why not just put a scanner on it?

·
Registered
1993 Chevrolet s10
17 Posts
Or an infrared thermometer on thermostat housing or hose next to it. See what temp really is

·
Registered
366 Posts
I’d go with an after market gauge. You can get them for around 13 bucks if you get the discount at advance auto. Hook it up in the head and your good. I mad the mistake of replacing most the cooling systems and it was the dash gauge.

·
Been there Done it
10,486 Posts
Is that -10 to -20 F or C? If it's F be glad it even runs. Probably a bad gauge sender. It is separate from the ECT sender for the ECM. The gauge one has one dark green wire to it. The ECT has a black and a yellow wire and has nothing to do with the gauge.
Chevy moved them around. IDR exactly where they put it on the 94's. So look on the heads and intake for a sender with one green wire.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that -10 to -20 F or C? If it's F be glad it even runs. Probably a bad gauge sender. It is separate from the ECT sender for the ECM. The gauge one has one dark green wire to it. The ECT has a black and a yellow wire and has nothing to do with the gauge.
Chevy moved them around. IDR exactly where they put it on the 94's. So look on the heads and intake for a sender with one green wire.
That is F. That is why I’m trying to get info before I go out. I can only stand it for 10-15 minutes at a time. Also found out I have a gas leak somewhere. I’ve never done any of this before, never lived somewhere I could tinker, but now I can. I’d just like to get as much info so I can be out of the cold ASAP. But yeah truck fires right up, good heat

·
time to get cereal
4,559 Posts
You have a 2.2L right? Your temp sensor is a two wire, it screws into the water outlet on the front of the cylinder head.

·
Been there Done it
10,486 Posts
Sorry, I missed where he said it was a 2.2? Where was that?

·
time to get cereal
4,559 Posts
It’s just the 2.2 4cyl, 1997.I’m mostly looking for opinions on fuel line and what tools and such I’d need. At the most basic level, if it’s leaking away from any connections, is nylon ok to use? It seems the cheapest and requiring the least amount of tools

·
Registered Offender
663 Posts
Is that -10 to -20 F or C? If it's F be glad it even runs.
That's a bit of an exaggeraton, isn't it? We've had a dozen or more -10°F and cooler mornings in the past few weeks. Starting isn't a problem in my '03 262" V. It was never really a problem with my previous '96 with the mighty 134" inline. Of course, warmup takes a few minutes longer. My personal record for a 262" V-6 was -44°F starting unassisted (no battery charger, no engine heater) with 10W30 Mobil1. I'm pretty sure others have done better.

Incidentally, that's air temperature, not the contrived "wind chill" bullschitt that the weather gurus have invented. Wind only matters it you're sleeping outdoors without a tent, or pulling the red handle above Angels 9 at over 150 kts.

·
time to get cereal
4,559 Posts
LOL, heard a lot of conspiracies, but wind chill?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts