S-10 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
GOT LN2¿
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a rattle at idle or at around 1500- 2000 rpm the sound is constant it sounds like its near the front of the motor. It does it hot or cold and will do it for a few secs. stop and start at idle.

I just pulled the engine apart and replace the timing chain and power steering pump. But I still have the rattle.

any ideals?

·
I hate thieves
532 Posts
With the truck idleing, look at the belt tensioner. Does the belt "flop" or move around a tad? Turn the truck off and see if you can move the tensioner by hand. If so, the spring is bad. This is my issue. The rattle is the tensioner spring. I have ASP pullies and am running a 71.5" belt. When I get the new tensioner, I will drop down to a 70.5" also because this is the second tensioner to go bad with the current belt.

·
GOT LN2¿
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I took the belt off today and the noise quit. I put it back on and started right back so I got to feeling around and I belive noise is coming out of the alternator.
Im running the small belt and I dont have problems with it slaping.

·
i saw what you did there!
3,573 Posts
wooden broom handle or small dimension mumber board on your ear is how to find noisy parts

real easy

have to do it all the time at the shop to find clicks and ticks and rattles and bad compressor clutches and alternators and pumps and pulley bearings and so much more....

works well

·
I hate thieves
532 Posts
I took the belt off today and the noise quit. I put it back on and started right back so I got to feeling around and I belive noise is coming out of the alternator.
Im running the small belt and I dont have problems with it slaping.

I thought it was the alternator the first time I noticed it too, right after I put the pullies on. Replaced it and still had the rattle. Could be a loose pulley too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts