S-10 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2003 S10 4.3 2WD Automatic

Engine oil cooler has slight seep to it where it will occasionally form a drip. I went ahead and bought a new engine oil cooler lines will be installing them soon.

It is obvious the metal portion of these lines are aluminum so I know they aren't to be torqued down too much. I was just going to go until it is tight and then give it a good snug and leave it at that.

However I want to know if there is an official torque specification for it? I am referring to the single bolt where it attaches at the oil filter.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I hope you got the acdelco cooler hose, the dorman one leaks at the oil filter adapter connection even if torque to specs. That's what I found out with my truck. I installed the acdelco not a single drop of oil in 4yrs. Hope it's of help.

·
Registered
2003 GMC Sonoma SLS extended cab 4.3L auto 4x4
25 Posts
replace rad fitting too
Yep, I had one of mine replaced as it was weeping slightly & bound to continue deteriorating. Apparently there were different types of fittings dependent on the year/ radiator/ engine, etc. so be sure you get the right one.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope you got the acdelco cooler hose, the dorman one leaks at the oil filter adapter connection even if torque to specs. That's what I found out with my truck. I installed the acdelco not a single drop of oil in 4yrs. Hope it's of help.
Yep it is a Dorman which I am usually against buying Dorman however I looked at the reviews prior to purchasing and they were actually good reviews which is a shocker for Dorman. But after digging further I found some people complaining of the line blowing at the crimps so I am returning it and will order Ac Delco.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually just checked RockAuto and they have GM Genuine for $63 while Autozone wants $109 for Ac Delco.

I doubt there is a difference between GM Genuine and Ac Delco.

·
Been there Done it
10,984 Posts
AZ has very high prices.
Rockauto 5% code. Put it in the where did you hear about us box.
5% Discount Code: 164771933150548373
Expires: April 11, 2021

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AZ has very high prices.
In this case yes, assuming GM Genuine is the same as Ac Delco then for sure it is a ridiculous price in my opinion.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I doubt there is a difference between GM Genuine and Ac Delco.
According to GM, GM Genuine Parts is part of a re-branding scheme. The new branding is meant to differentiate genuine parts from aftermarket parts that AC Delco also manufactures. Practically, they're going to be the same parts if it's for a GM vehicle.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
According to GM, GM Genuine Parts is part of a re-branding scheme. The new branding is meant to differentiate genuine parts from aftermarket parts that AC Delco also manufactures. Practically, they're going to be the same parts if it's for a GM vehicle.
Yea I figured it was something like that because even Ac Delco website shows GM Genuine. I got to order a few more parts anyway so GM Genuine on rockauto it is. They even have the same exact part number.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Do you need the oil cooler? I only run 'em on vehicles I tow with. Most of the others only drive 10 - 15 miles each way, twice a day. Running oil too cold can cause almost as much trouble as too hot. If it never gets warm enough to boil the water off, sludge forms and things go downhill from there. Manufacturers recommend oil temps in the 230 - 250 degree range. It starts to degrade faster at around 275 or so. When your coolant temp is in the 180 - 200 degree range, your oil is typically 20 - 30 degrees hotter, just about perfect.
That's why the car that was only driven by granny to church on Sundays isn't always the best choice...

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you need the oil cooler? I only run 'em on vehicles I tow with. Most of the others only drive 10 - 15 miles each way, twice a day. Running oil too cold can cause almost as much trouble as too hot. If it never gets warm enough to boil the water off, sludge forms and things go downhill from there. Manufacturers recommend oil temps in the 230 - 250 degree range. It starts to degrade faster at around 275 or so. When your coolant temp is in the 180 - 200 degree range, your oil is typically 20 - 30 degrees hotter, just about perfect.
That's why the car that was only driven by granny to church on Sundays isn't always the best choice...
It is a factory oil cooler, I live in a very hilly state with a lot of hilly winding roads all 2nd generation 4.3 S10's and Blazers have a factory engine oil cooler and factory transmission cooler built into the radiator.

·
Registered
2003 S10 4.3 2WD
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just received the new engine oil cooler, they sent me AC Delco instead of GM Genuine like ordered but oh well same thing same part number. There is for sure a weight difference, the Dorman was like a feather, this AC Delco has some heft to it, feels like a much stronger build.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts