S-10 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Besides investing a $hitload in dynamat, what can I do about the friggin engine noise I am getting from my amp? I have heard that if you use a common ground with the radio, it should eliminate it, but I thought that the antenna was the radio ground?! I have the amp under the passenger seat grounded to a seat mount bolt, and the ground wire is less than 6", just like the manual said. If I do ground it with the radio, It would be more like 6 feet. What do I do???

·
want my #... 911 beotch!!
2,186 Posts
Blazin said:
Besides investing a $hitload in dynamat, what can I do about the friggin engine noise I am getting from my amp? I have heard that if you use a common ground with the radio, it should eliminate it, but I thought that the antenna was the radio ground?! I have the amp under the passenger seat grounded to a seat mount bolt, and the ground wire is less than 6", just like the manual said. If I do ground it with the radio, It would be more like 6 feet. What do I do???
i noticed a similar prob when i installed my MSD 6A. i would like a few possible solutions to this too.:thumbup:

·
Registered
34 Posts
dynamat alternative...

You could always strip your truck and have the cab sprayed with that bedliner stuff (Rhino liner, Line X) That will only run you maybe $500 at most.

·
Just Call Me Dick
305 Posts
are your power wire and rca cables ran side by side? if they are that is usually noise u are hearing. all u do is run the power wire on one side of your truck and the rca cables on the other side.

·
Registered
99 Posts
what kind of noise are you talking about? cause you said you have engine noise but you dynamatted everything? dynamat would not cure engine noise, engine noise is a type of "whine" you get and most of the time will be more noticeable as you step harder on the gas and you will notice it through your speakers. dynamat would just help road noise and vibration from alot of bass. which is it?

i just asked this question for a friend over on the audio site i always frequent. i will give you a link to my post, you can also search and possibly get more help.

http://www.termpro.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=40&t=003418

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
If you're talking about the whine when the engine revs, I would go to radio shack and pick up a noise reducer (I don't know if that is what it is called, but the people there would know what you are talking about) I put that in my friends beretta, and it helped alot of the whine coming from his amp.

DogP

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a noise reduction thingy wired in ( a little black cylinder with a red light that hides in the dash) -- completely worthless. I just bought my amp like a week ago, it's only 300 watts. Is a ground loop isolator the same thing I have already?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try using a ground loop isolator and redoing the ground wire. Make sure to grind the area a bit where the ground wire is connecting to make sure for a clean connection and make sure the wire is connected tightly.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Here's your answer:

Magnecor ignition wires and really good RCA cables like the Esoteric Audio Zero Noise 3.5s.

I also run my power cables on the opposite side of the transmission tunnel than the RCAs. Double check your grounds too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
having the power wire and rca's on the same side doesn't cause engine noise, a lot of the people think that this causes it. go to carsound.com and ask matt borgardt or david navone, i forget which one explained it, but they explained the "myths" and what you really need to do to fix it

1 - 16 of 16 Posts