S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a year ago i got a stereo installed on my 04 blazer and noticed it has engine noise. I am pissed of because i did not know about metra. The installation place cut my stock wiring harness and had to reattach the wires back and bought a metra harness because i dont understand how to wire up a radio. My question is what is causing the engine noise. BTW my speakers are wired directly from the amp to the speakers. Thanks

·
Registered
325 Posts
Bad grounds.
So the speaker are powered by an external amp and not the HU?
What's the make and model of the HU and the amp?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
NEEDAZ said:
Bad grounds.
So the speaker are powered by an external amp and not the HU?
What's the make and model of the HU and the amp?
First i had a Pioneer DEH7700mp which was suck. Now i have a
Sony Xplod CDX-8810 4 Volt preout. The amp is a 4ch Performance Teknique powering 2 Tweeters 2, unknown brand front speakers at 400w rms, 2 Clairion 130w rms speakers and 2 Pioneer 260w rms rear speakers. I have a seperate Rockford 1 generation bas amp. This headunit cut about 80 percent of the engine noise off and sounds so much better. Thanks 4 your help.

·
Registered
325 Posts
You where better off with the Pioneer. Sound like bad grounds at the HU or the amp. Pioneer has added a fuse on the ground for the RCA outputs. If there is a bad ground in the system this fuse will open and you get noise like crazy. But go back over you grounds.
Do you have a DMM and know how to measure resistance?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
NEEDAZ said:
You where better off with the Pioneer. Sound like bad grounds at the HU or the amp. Pioneer has added a fuse on the ground for the RCA outputs. If there is a bad ground in the system this fuse will open and you get noise like crazy. But go back over you grounds.
Do you have a DMM and know how to measure resistance?
I do have a DMM and do have a pretty good i dea on how to measure R. The funny thing is though i did not rewire nothing, all i did is swap the HU and BOOOOM!!!!!!!. The pioneer went in to best buy which is were i got from 4 Times for repair and have fiked a coupl of electrical problems with the HU. I have had 3 Sonys and have never had any problems with any of them what so ever. The Pioneer is my first and last i will ever buy. The 4 times it went into repair were for the following

1. CD gets stuck and was fixed.
2. Noise on left front output RCS. Was fixed
3. No sound on left RCA output. was fixed(Blown Resistor) Sound was different
4. CD gets stuck again and was fixed
5. I still get noise and sounds worse.

I had to turn up the gain when i got the Pioneer back from repair in order to get higher level of sound. Engine noise is present when Pioner is on and off.

Then i had to Xtremely turn down the gain when i installed the Sony Xplod because the sound level was high and distorted. Engine is noise is only noticeable when Sony is off. Amazing sound!!!!!!!! Really!!! believe it or not,, Great radio Bro.:rock: :rock:

·
Truck is toast :-/
2,949 Posts
strange experiences you've had... maybe just a bad deck all around. I've had many, many pioneers and they've all been bullet proof even under the abuse i give them.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ASTROdog said:
strange experiences you've had... maybe just a bad deck all around. I've had many, many pioneers and they've all been bullet proof even under the abuse i give them.

Maybe,,,,, i guess maybe everyone has a good experience with different radios. I have good experiences even with their HI 8 camcorders, dvd players and TV's. The only thing i would not buy rom sony would be a Digital Camera.

·
Registered
325 Posts
spinbad said:
... Engine is noise is only noticeable when Sony is off. ...
That's odd. Sounds like the problem is in the amp then. Do have have anther amp to swap in and try?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NEEDAZ said:
That's odd. Sounds like the problem is in the amp then. Do have have anther amp to swap in and try?
The amp i have now was swapped out because my buddys wife scratched the chrome, so he gave it to me. The Performance Teknique Amp was only 2 month old when i got from him. I think you might be right though because my old Mobile Authority AMP was 4 years and had alot of noise on the whole system after a while . But then i exchanged the Amp for the PT and only a little bit of noise went away. Now i have the sony and only a small whistling sound comes out, i know that you should not have any engine noise. BTW Thanks for helping me this i appreciate it alot.:)

Check this site out it's pretty cool info
http://www.carstereo.com/help/Articles.cfm?Car_Audio=Subwoofer+Box+Volume+Calculator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts