S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '01 ,auto., sounds like it has piston slap when the engine is cold. It's ok at ldle but pulling up a hill or moderate throttle and I hear a tapping noise. Sounds like an old lifter when they were loose. As the engine warms it fades away. It's got 21k and I've used Mobil 1 since the second oil change. As you would expect, the dealer says it's fine. I should add that my dealer's Service Dept. is.... uh...USELESS. I'll save that for another thread.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Sorry I forgot to say that this noise is faint but never the less, there , since new.

·
UAH By-product
1,092 Posts
valves knocking? our 93 toyota pickup used to do that. when it was cold and you'd start to give it gas.... at any gear or rpm.... but more at low gear low rpm.... you could hear the valves knocking away. it'll probly do it again once it starts warming up. all we have to do is adjust the timing on it a little and then it stops. just a thought.

Brad

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a '98 Mazda (ford) V6 that sounded exactly like this and it was piston slap from a defect in the machine work. They replaced a lot of those short blocks that year. But that isn't the case here, or there would be a lot of S-10 four's with the same problem. Before the warranty expires I'll find another dealer to look at it. When the engine is at full operating temp, it's gone. ???????

·
Registered Abuser
2,375 Posts
I think its a common problem...the oil is thicker when its cold and has trouble getting to the lifters until its warmed up.

I think that mostly rumor, but alot of people hear the same problem

·
.......¯\(O_o)/¯.......
3,480 Posts
mine is a 98 2.2 w/74000 miles and it does the same thing..Hasnt hurt anything...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't feel so all alone, now. I'm using Mobil 1/ 0-30 , it flows about as well at low temps as anything out there. So I can't blame the oil. Thanks for your replies.

·
Beaver-ologist
240 Posts
pretty much every 2.2 has done it that i heard....cold running noise with the tick tick tick tick sound. sounds like its comming from the high end right? yup....no worries...just a bit annoying

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 01 2.2 has piston slap on startup. It goes away in a couple of minutes. I have researched this and have found that almost all manufacture's have this problem. Just do a search on Google about piston slap and you will see it is a common problem. I am not sure what to believe about this as some say it won't hurt anything and some claim it will. Has anyone had any real problems with it other than it being annoying?

·
Registered
396 Posts
Yeah I got that sound, its nothing that I would loose sleep over

·
Registered
7,460 Posts
Try putting a bottle of Lucas oil addative in it. But make sure you can usr it in synthedic oil. It coats all the internal parts, so they have better lubracation, when you first start it. I've never used it in my 2.2, but in other motors, to quiet them down, from all the noises, they make until, they warm up, I use Amsoil in my 2.2 since the first oil change and it doesn't make the lifter noise.

·
Just Truckin
265 Posts
Got the same sound, if I push it, until it gets above 170*, I use Lucas(1/2 quart) w/ the rest being Valvoline syn blend. Just don't push your engine too hard while it's warming up...notice the harder you push your engine the worse the sound. So just wait until it gets to a good temp to burn all those ricers or the ***** ford rangers(2.3 of course). There shouldn't be any more wear on your engine than anyone else has.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts