S-10 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2000 GMC Sonoma SLS 2.2L 5MT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been trying to get over my fear of working on my car and started that out with an oil change the other day. Truck was running okay, not great, but had the original oil from when I bought it (1500 miles ago) so I decided to change the oil and the pressure sensor out. Did everything to the best of my ability, but when it came time to fill the oil, I didn't have a funnel. In the end I must have spilled 1/8-1/4 of a quart of the oil around the filler neck (learned my lesson). Some of the oil got onto the wiring harness beneath it, a couple lines going to the heater core, and onto the exhaust. Tons of white smoke after start up, but it eventually burned off and doesn't smoke as much anymore.

A few days after changing the oil, I started up the car and it was missing bad. Tried to drive but letting the clutch out made the car buck very badly. Engine light came on and started flashing for a short while. I made it back and read a P0303 code off of the car. I gave the spark plug wire boot on cylinder 3 a good turn and after starting, misfire seemed to go away. Drove it no problem for a few days. Today, I went to start up and again started missing very badly. Tried restarting the engine 3 times without any effect. After I wiped some remaining oil from the wiring harness beneath the filler neck and reinstalled the boot on cylinder 3 engine seemed to be idling fine. When I tried to drive, letting the clutch out made the engine start misfiring again. I tried starting the car a few more times throughout the day and couldn't get the misfire to go away.

I plan to replace the coil packs and spark plug wires. I'm having a mechanic replace the spark plugs since I'm afraid of stripping the aluminum plug threads (plugs look original). So pretty much my paranoia from doing the oil change is telling me I messed something up when logically, I can't see how an oil change would cause this. Before changing the oil, the car would sometimes stumble (misfire?) at idle once every 10 seconds. Restarting the engine would make this go away. Maybe one of my ignition components was going out and coincidentally failed right after the oil change? Just looking for any insight as to what may be happening. Maybe the harness below the filler neck is for a fuel injector? Also trying to get back my self confidence after a shaky first oil change.

Thanks

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,285 Posts
You are being too hard on yourself. The simple act of spilling the oil down the side of the engine is not the cause of your issues.You stated it "missed" sometimes before this,pointing to the fact you have spark plugs wires that need changing. For the future, if no funnel on hand, you can cut bottom of a soda bottle or roll some paper in to a funnel.

·
Been there Done it
9,520 Posts
If you have a Harbor Fright near you these are on sale until Dec 03rd for 79¢ Coupon 40859586
I used the big one in my set yesterday to add automatic transmission fluid.
And still spilled a little because I was pouring from a gallon jug and poured too fast. I've been doing this 60 years and still spill occasionally. IT happens.
Next thing to buy is a bag of oil dry. ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts