S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking for some knowledge on engine swap i have a 1995 sonoma with a blown 4.3 i also have a complete wrecked 2000 sonoma my qestion is can i put the engine,ecm and harness from my 2000 in my 95?? also the 2000 is a auto and the 95 is a stick shift will the clutch bolt to the 2000 or is the fly wheel different? any help would be greatly appreciated

·
Been there Done it
14,404 Posts
That comment was meant directly at you. It was for the benefit of the long time members who see it asked weekly.
Do a search on the forum. It has been covered many many times.
Since you have the black sheep S10 (a 95) it would also help to know which 4.3 you have. Is the vin code Z or W?
And where is the ECM located? Under the hood or under the dash?
It can be done by using both computers. Hope you're good at wiring!
Also would simplify matters if both are 2wd.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That comment was meant directly at you. It was for the benefit of the long time members who see it asked weekly.
Do a search on the forum. It has been covered many many times.
Since you have the black sheep S10 (a 95) it would also help to know which 4.3 you have. Is the vin code Z or W?
And where is the ECM located? Under the hood or under the dash?
It can be done by using both computers. Hope you're good at wiring!
Also would simplify matters if both are 2wd.
thanks for the reply its a z vin .i have searched the page and found no specific info on what all has to be changed other than the engine, ecm and harness .the ecm is in the engine bay.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
r0 i have way less in the parts truck
all of our trucks, everyone of them are cheap throw away S10s that arent worth much to anyone besides people who liek them. You can daily a V8 truck quite well, i get between 19 and 22 MPGs depending on what gear ratio i use. You dont have to use an LS, you can use a SBC which like i stated earlier, would be easier and less work

·
Been there Done it
14,404 Posts
Since you have a TBI 4.3 with the VCM under the hood, putting a 2000 Vortec 4.3 in is physically close to a bolt in. You will have to bring along it's computer and wiring harness. The wiring won't be extremely difficult if you are an electrician or a vehicle tech well versed in doing swaps. For most folks, tho, it could be overwhelming. You might want to talk to CPW about what you want to do. They can probably build what you'll need for around a grand. There are maybe half a dozen guys on this forum who could do it. By the time you pay their air fare and what they'd charge for a week of their time, CPW will be less expensive. You can't simply unplug a computer from one truck and just plug it in another. It has to be done 1 wire at a time while having an overall plan in mind. Then all you need to do is build the higher pressure fuel system. 2000 operates at 60 psi - the 1995 was at 15 psi. And fab up some exhaust.
BTW - no one ever swapped in an LS for $1500. With friends in low places and some wheeler dealing maybe $3000.
Not trying to discourage you. Just trying to help you see what you are thinking of attempting.
The best thing you can realistically do is find another 89-95 vin Z 4.3. might take a while to find a good one as they're getting scarce. One from a full size pickup or van that's also a vin Z will work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts