S-10 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my 2.8 with a 4.3, but i have to get the 4.3 rebuilt first. I know the 4.3 in an old body sdime will be fast but i want to maximize the hp. one guy said if i bored and stroked the 4.3 it would be able to hang close to a TA. how true is that? Any suggestions on how to make a STRONG 4.3?

·
Project: Sabriel
12,507 Posts
no way a bored and stroked 4.3L can hang with a T/A. not unless you do a lot of other stuff. remember, stroking an engine makes power down low, and makes it want to rev less easily due to the length of the stroke.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just stroking would do what your talking about , but you are overcoming the stroked end of it by enlarging the bore also.

rough estimates on HP at stroked/bored 4.3L are decent enough to mess with .
You might hang with a stock TA may enven beat a few but the real gains would be after you maximize air/fuel to the cylinders and get it out eficiantly ,and get it all to the ground.

You can make a heck of a 4.3 but .....

(check signature below)

·
12,507 Posts
true. cant T/A's wind out really far? which you wouldnt be able to do with a stroked engine. maybe im thinking of T/A WS6's.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I havent really set a budget yet but I am planning to do a little at a time. I know the guy at the machine shop and he said he could build a strong 4.3 for bout 2 grand. how does that sound? Yes i drive my s-10 everyday but when i start my switch, my dad will let me use one of his trucks so that isnt a problem.

THANKS.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Heads, cam, and a heck of a tune, and maybe even nitrous will maybe allow you to hang with a decent T/A. I don't know where you're from, but in Texas, you still wouldn't have much of a chance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i know T/A's are bad cuz my friends have a few, but i know a 4.3 can hang close with a 350 somehow. what bout the Z28's. the t/a's are way faster than the z28. Do u think my 4.3 would hang close to the Z28?

·
12,507 Posts
it all comes down to money. you can put a super and build it to handle a 150 shot of nitrous, bore it, stroke it, port and polish the heads and play with the valves, if its a TBI you can switch to carb. underdrive pulleys, cold air intake, e-fans, synthetic oils in everything.

·
Quicker than a Hummer!
349 Posts
chanting.. turbo, turbo, turbo...

I am a fan of the T's over the S's for some reason... more efficient and more peak boost... but they dont take off the like the S/C. Traction is an issue anyway- an S/C just lets you show off at low speeds more :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts