S-10 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so im new to the s10 and domestic world (I love imports). I just bought a 93 Sonoma that had a engine fire a couple years ago when the previous owners poured gas into the intake to get it to fire. The wires going to the injectors, ignition coil/dizzy, and couple other wires and vacuum lines got burned up. So when I bought it they were taped back up. I tried to get it to fire with starter fluid and nothing. I checked for spark and got nothing. injectors don't fire. I soldered all the wires I could get to without taking anything a part.

so heres the questions:
could the fire have over heated the wires and possibly fried the ecu(I have heard of it happening before)?
does anyone have any advice for me on where to start?
finally, does anyone have a wiring diagram for the engine bay? I want to look over all of the wiring.

sorry for the kinda long post. thanks in advance for an help.

·
Administrator
20,900 Posts
Fire damage is a hard thing to repair. I'd look for a new harness. You'll be chasing gremlins forever.

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
Here's the million dollar question...Obviously if the prior owner burned it pouring gas in it, obviously there was an issue already that probably had nothing to do with the fire. So what was up with it when they set fire to it?

Depending on the severity of the fire, the harness can likely be repaired. I don't think it's an issue or you will be haunted by gremlins as long as you repair it properly and since you said you soldered the wires you know what you're doing. But you don't know 100% if it's repairable unless you really get your hands on it to make sure. Here's what I'd do. Take the entire harness loose from the engine. It's not that hard. Take you about 30 minutes. There's one ground as I recall that's a bitch, but not impossible on the back of the passenger side head?? Don't pull it through the firewall unless it's burned there. That's a waste of time. Pull the ECM harness end out under the dash....Let the engine end lay on the passenger fender. Get a meter and extend the wires so you and a friend can check each wire for proper continuity. A paper clip works great for the pins on the ecm end. It's a pain but worth doing for piece of mind. Get deathphoenix99's wiring diagram (in his sig) for your year and double check everything. This eliminates the harness issue. Fix it right.

Does the check engine light illuminate when you turn the key on? If it does the ECM is alive and sending signal to the light. If it isn't, the ECM could be bad, but honestly this doesn't occur too often but I cooked one myself when I converted my carbed truck to EFI because of a shorted out fuel pump relay. So yeah, it can happen but not likely. Still if it is cooked I wouldn't hook another one up till I made sure that harness is right.

Just FYI, the distributor tells the injectors to fire, so I'd look there while I was at it since you said it was burned. Check the EFI sticky. Might be some stuff in there that would help you.

The good news here is that there isn't really a whole lot to this type of EFI. Once you REALLY understand it, there's only a few reasons it won't run and they are pretty easy to track down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the million dollar question...Obviously if the prior owner burned it pouring gas in it, obviously there was an issue already that probably had nothing to do with the fire. So what was up with it when they set fire to it?

Depending on the severity of the fire, the harness can likely be repaired. I don't think it's an issue or you will be haunted by gremlins as long as you repair it properly and since you said you soldered the wires you know what you're doing. But you don't know 100% if it's repairable unless you really get your hands on it to make sure. Here's what I'd do. Take the entire harness loose from the engine. It's not that hard. Take you about 30 minutes. There's one ground as I recall that's a bitch, but not impossible on the back of the passenger side head?? Don't pull it through the firewall unless it's burned there. That's a waste of time. Pull the ECM harness end out under the dash....Let the engine end lay on the passenger fender. Get a meter and extend the wires so you and a friend can check each wire for proper continuity. A paper clip works great for the pins on the ecm end. It's a pain but worth doing for piece of mind. Get deathphoenix99's wiring diagram (in his sig) for your year and double check everything. This eliminates the harness issue. Fix it right.

Does the check engine light illuminate when you turn the key on? If it does the ECM is alive and sending signal to the light. If it isn't, the ECM could be bad, but honestly this doesn't occur too often but I cooked one myself when I converted my carbed truck to EFI because of a shorted out fuel pump relay. So yeah, it can happen but not likely. Still if it is cooked I wouldn't hook another one up till I made sure that harness is right.

Just FYI, the distributor tells the injectors to fire, so I'd look there while I was at it since you said it was burned. Check the EFI sticky. Might be some stuff in there that would help you.

The good news here is that there isn't really a whole lot to this type of EFI. Once you REALLY understand it, there's only a few reasons it won't run and they are pretty easy to track down.
When you say it could be bad, would it still have power?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
idk if anyone will see this but if the dizzy gear was broken would I be able to turn it without effort?

·
Awww..you ain't got shit!
3,268 Posts
Sorry I didn't respond. Still did not understand what you were asking anyway. Um, if the you can spin the rotor under the cap without effort the shaft pin is probably sheared. Why this would happen? I don't know, but this is certainly your problem if it can be turned freely. That would certainly explain the lack of spark and fuel since there would be no pulse to fire the injectors and no spark since the distributor won't spin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
About this Discussion
6 Replies
4 Participants
jimmykicker
S-10 Forum
S10forum is the community to discuss the S-Series, Chevrolet Colorado and GMC Canyon. Join to discuss rebuilds, modifications, tech articles and more!
Full Forum Listing