S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i pulled the head off my 2.2L today because it had bad compression in cyl 4 and was running like ass. I had thought i had a bent valve. Well here are the pics. I could really use some opinion. Cyl 4 seems to have a larger build up of crap on it and a discolored valve compared to the rest.

http://community.webshots.com/user/falbackonmyfaith

·
PAGING DR. ******!
7,371 Posts
Looks like you were burning some oil, rings maybe? Hows the top of the piston look?

·
Registered
99 Posts
did you do a leakdown test? as in you put air pressure into the cylinder, and listened for leaks in the intake, oil dipstick tube, or exhaust? that woulda told you alot right there. you could have even shot some oil in the cylinder while you were doing the pressure test to see if it was the rings.

·
Ross Racing Engines
1,385 Posts
Looks to me like your rings on #4 are shot. Not enough cylinder pressure to burn off the oil that was blowing by. That's wherer your discoloration is coming from. That and unburned fuel. A leakdown test would have been helpfull to pinpoint the problem, but there is no valve obviously bent.

·
The doctor is in...
1,251 Posts
wayfastwhitey said:
Looks to me like your rings on #4 are shot. Not enough cylinder pressure to burn off the oil that was blowing by. That's wherer your discoloration is coming from. That and unburned fuel. A leakdown test would have been helpfull to pinpoint the problem, but there is no valve obviously bent.
I agree, and it doesn't look like the other cylinders rings are to far behind. Since you have it out, you might as well invest in some better internals.

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you look a the bad one around the 10 o'clock angel it looks like its missing a piece of metal. Any small opening will cause a leak of air/fuel. And any small amout will miss fire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts