S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i got my compressor wired up and pumping.....but i have a couple problems....i need to know the best way to add oil to my compressor? i have also came across a problem, i have my watertrap mounted right below the back window in my bed....like behind the tank....its the watertrap and check valve....there is a wierd loud noisy sound that comes from the check valve/watertrap.....could anyone tell me what i need to do to fix that?

·
growing up a bit..
5,182 Posts
im not sure about the adding oil.. i saw it in one of djdthreads i think.. but the checkvalve will make that sound.. they all do.. well docs does atleast..

·
Registered
94 Posts
I don't if this helps, but my check value makes a vibrating sound when my truck is idoling, but if I give it gas it goes away. Might just be that the check valve is not opening all the way and causing it to vibrate.

·
Resident Wetback
11,267 Posts
i use a little oil can similar to the pic....picked it up at autozone, mine holds 6 oz....good way to keep track how much you put in....

Attachments

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so the noise that i hear from my check valve and watertrap area, is nothing big, no need to worry bout it? and how many cycles will i have to go thru on my compressor until it stops running oil thru it?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I use a large syringe with no needle on it to add oil to my compressor. My syringe holds like 2 oz. of oil. As for the rattling, it is the check ball in the check valve that you mounted off of the exit side of the water trap. It rattles because it has a steel ball that seals on the brass check valve body and the compressor is a piston type pump. Basically at low rpm the air pulses from the piston pump cause the ball to move back and forth which causes the rattling noise. When you rev the truck up the compressor pumps enough to hold the ball open so then it does not rattle. I called airlift and complained about the noisey check valve and their reply was " you know, we just noticed the other day that the check valve is kind of noisey, but we don't have any quieter ones". I couldn't stand it because it sounded like there was something loose in the back of my truck. I did some research and found a check valve that is dead silent, you do not hear it at all and I have been running that one for about 3 months now. If there is some interest I could offer it on our website at www.billetin.com. I bought it from an industrial place that only deals with other companies, otherwise I would direct you guys to them. We are working on getting some air fittings up on the site, I could probably add the quiet check valves also if people are interested.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
my check valve is betwen my compresor and watertrap.....thats right isnt it? yes the rattling noise had me worried. so i can get a quiet check valve, if so here can i get one b/c i dont think i can stand the noise it makes, sounds alomst worst than a electic compressor???
funkc said:
I use a large syringe with no needle on it to add oil to my compressor. My syringe holds like 2 oz. of oil. As for the rattling, it is the check ball in the check valve that you mounted off of the exit side of the water trap. It rattles because it has a steel ball that seals on the brass check valve body and the compressor is a piston type pump. Basically at low rpm the air pulses from the piston pump cause the ball to move back and forth which causes the rattling noise. When you rev the truck up the compressor pumps enough to hold the ball open so then it does not rattle. I called airlift and complained about the noisey check valve and their reply was " you know, we just noticed the other day that the check valve is kind of noisey, but we don't have any quieter ones". I couldn't stand it because it sounded like there was something loose in the back of my truck. I did some research and found a check valve that is dead silent, you do not hear it at all and I have been running that one for about 3 months now. If there is some interest I could offer it on our website at www.billetin.com. I bought it from an industrial place that only deals with other companies, otherwise I would direct you guys to them. We are working on getting some air fittings up on the site, I could probably add the quiet check valves also if people are interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your check valve should be after the watertrap, between your tank and your watertrap. (according to airlifts directions anyway). Yes, I agree that the rattling is worse than an electric compressor, at least with an electric compressor it doesn't sound like you forgot to tighten something in the back of your truck. I have to look up how much the quiet check valves are but if I remember right they are like $20.00 or so. Anyone who is interested in one email me directly at [email protected] and I can find out exact pricing.

extremelylow said:
my check valve is betwen my compresor and watertrap.....thats right isnt it? yes the rattling noise had me worried. so i can get a quiet check valve, if so here can i get one b/c i dont think i can stand the noise it makes, sounds alomst worst than a electic compressor???

·
Registered
645 Posts
most check valves make noise. they chater if you will. parkers makea lot of noise and 100% all brass ones makes shit tones. the one i find that makes minial sound its the one kilby sales

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
WHOA lol Check valve chatter.... what size fill lines you runnun in the inlet of these? I am curious.

a chattering check valve is a sign of miss sized as in too small of line or to large a check valve.

If you are running the compresor and don't know how often you need to fill it it is probably out of oil ;)

I would check it every 2 cycles and add oil as needed.

I would read this,
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=154924&highlight=york+facts

and this,
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168956

and this,
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=193838

To get you started If you have any questions ask away better safe then sorry !

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok, i have the compresor and leader hose from it, then i have the check valve, then the watertrap....then line going from watertrap to the tank....that how it suppose to be....its all 1/2" line...

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
extremelylow said:
ok, i have the compresor and leader hose from it, then i have the check valve, then the watertrap....then line going from watertrap to the tank....that how it suppose to be....its all 1/2" line...
I would mount it,

Compressor....braided line ....filter.....line....(optional extra filter) .... checkvalve on tank.

This way if the filter leaks slowly it will not hurt the system. and will also slow down some of the pulsation and may help with checkvalve 'chatter'

·
growing up a bit..
5,182 Posts
DJDAudio said:
I would mount it,

Compressor....braided line ....filter.....line....(optional extra filter) .... checkvalve on tank.

This way if the filter leaks slowly it will not hurt the system. and will also slow down some of the pulsation and may help with checkvalve 'chatter'
hey doug this u could draw something up for that.. im more a visual person.. if u get time.. if not no biggy.. and would hydrolic hose work instead of braided line?

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
lilsly2004 said:
hey doug this u could draw something up for that.. im more a visual person.. if u get time.. if not no biggy.. and would hydrolic hose work instead of braided line?

Shure thimg/.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
ok another quesiton the the EDC....how long does it take b4 the oil stop running thru after 1 or 2 cycles....i mean after 1, maybe 2 cycles it need drained...

·
~~~~
23,957 Posts
extremelylow said:
ok another quesiton the the EDC....how long does it take b4 the oil stop running thru after 1 or 2 cycles....i mean after 1, maybe 2 cycles it need drained...
depending on use it may take as long as a month :eek:

My first two weeks I was going through a qt. a week of oil :(

1 - 20 of 24 Posts