S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Engine Build Up For a 9 Second S-10

I bought an 88 S-10 for 250 bucks.

Well due to the fact that I can't finance jack crap right now I am hopefully paying cash for a friends blazer. That will be my daily to work.

So I have decided to build the S-10 into a streetable 9 second ride.

I thought that I wanted to do it with a TPI motor but I don't think it would be possible. I was thinking that a Nitrous motor would be the cheaper way to go. But if I were to supercharge say a 6.0L it would be really easy to do.

Don't really know what to do yet but it will be a good project for sure. As soon as I can take some pictures I will show yall, the starting point anyways.

I think I am gonna go with a 8.5" 10 bolt with either slidalinks or cal-tracs.

I am really liking the idea of a forged internal 6.0L with Patriot Performance Heads a nice big 600 lift cam and a dual stage 250 wet shot.

Not sure if that will get me into the 9's or not but maybe.

·
Registered
432 Posts
i realy cant help you but my tip for u starting out is dont spend al ur money in ur motor the truck is more important i got a nice motor but my truck is not set up for it

my 2 cents

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
Streetable 9 sec ride is expencive. If you can afford a Blazer, you surely cant afford a 9 sec ride. Let alone the gas an upkeep on a ride like that.

Why dont you start with a 13 sec goal? Something easy and obtainable then as you get more cash you can slowly get faster and learn along the way....

·
FI Enthusiest
109 Posts
IMO, building a car from the engine up is building it backwards, I would say, find the engine you like, get the engine, put it into the truck, and keep it stock for that time, then, as you gain money slowly work, go with a 12 bold moser if you are really wanting anything past 12's either a 12 bolt or a 9" would be really cheap, then build the tranny, then get a stronger driveshaft, that way you wont break anything and can just upgrade the engine without worry of doing damage to those parts, a 6.0l would work or a 454 big block if you really want to try, a 454 with nitrous and a big cam might get you 10's, the 6.0l I would say go with, that way, put a nitrous kit on it, throw a supercharger to drop you into say the 10's with the NOS, then build on from there, NOS is definatally the way to go without ruining gas mileage, as for the supercharger, you could also go with a twin turbo setup, those are a few ideas, something I might get into on my next project, I am doing a 5.3l LS1 build up right now for my 2001 xtreme, and it will probably be near the 11's when I am done, and its gunna be a street driven car, but really, I think the best way to go is a nitrous and a turbo or supercharged engine to get into the 9's for a street car

·
Registered
17 Posts
i have a 1986 s10 496 bbc pushing out 800 hp i sould be with out a doubt in the 9s and streetible but i has cost me alot of money over 20k build a motor and find a guy selling a truck thats ready to take a beating i might be selling my rolling cage 9 inch narowed and 35 spline axles the works on this truck with a four link and 32*16.5 tires in the rear

·
Registered
151 Posts
pappasmerf18 said:
i have a 1986 s10 496 bbc pushing out 800 hp i sould be with out a doubt in the 9s and streetible but i has cost me alot of money over 20k build a motor and find a guy selling a truck thats ready to take a beating i might be selling my rolling cage 9 inch narowed and 35 spline axles the works on this truck with a four link and 32*16.5 tires in the rear
I would say high 8's if ya can keep the wheels on the ground.

Anything faster than 10 secs, takes massive horsepower and massive amounts of money!

Chas

·
Mine's got a fat block
105 Posts
Okay, my "repetitive" two cents: To agree with SweetS10 and Pappsmerf...
You're looking to drop an ass-load of cash into a 9 second truck. A big block would be my option, but I may be partial ('91 dime - 468/700r4/9" {maybe 650+hp N/A} 7.29 1/8 mi.) A huffed small block, or a small block on massive amounts of juice is an option. Very expensive either way as the small block takes grenade-proof guts to handle the power you need and big blocks are just plain costly to build right.
Then your tranny/driveshaft/rear-end has to handle it. Then there's the whole idea of traction: Mine's got Cal-trac bars and mono-leafs and does okay (see above) on a sticky track with good tires. A waste of time and gas on the street... makes a good show though, hehe.
Now, you gotta get a certified cage/seat belts/yada, yada, yada.

If you wanna go through with this, put your money in the heads! That is where the power is! Nuff said. period. (saying that, I need some heads)

Later man, and good luck with this one, I'll be glad to hear where the project goes from here.

Stretch

·
LSx and V8 Mod
4,204 Posts
The gospel of the High Performance world...now if only the world would listen to the truth we preach!!! Hahaha

Stretch454 said:
Put your money in the heads! That is where the power is! Nuff said. period.
:worship:

·
MPG is overrated
2,408 Posts
a 9 second street-able is useless. for 9 seconds you'll need to go big-block, superchargered, and maybe even alcohol. 13 seconds is still quite fast. go for that

·
i dont have feelings
519 Posts
you stole the idea right out of my head... cept im doing it completely N/A >=]

if you wanna charge it, you might as well try copying the syclone all wheel drive and turbo. add nitrous to that and youd be set. they do have traction control, but you may not need it.

if you want it 2wd then itz not very easy. tubbed out, big gears, 800 or more horses, anda 400turbo trans might get you there. not streetable tho =[

·
Getting back to Boosting
881 Posts
You don't need a big block to run 9's just to let you know.. It's just more weight to add.. The 6.0L is a smallblock,, it's light and will do just fine.. The 6.0L is good for 1000hp on stock heads before they even start to lift from the block.. A nice big cam, some valve springs to match, and nice 4400 stall, and a little nitrous if you'd like and you got 9's.. you could easily go 10's on just the motor. Besides a 9 sec streetable veichle is badass to build, just be responsible. Shit a 6.0L with a .512 lift cam, radiux supercharger with the 2.8 dia pulley, valve springs, and a GOOD custom tune your making 600 range horse..Well enough to move a 5500 pound Sliverado SS to 12.7's.. With a light truck like a first gen your all good..

jay

1 - 18 of 18 Posts