S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I am new to the forum, but old to S10 and Sonomas. I owned a 1990 Sonoma, a 94 S10 and 96 Sonoma before going full size. I am not beginning a hot rod based on a S10 chassis and drive train. Thnking of 5700 vortec as the starting point trying to keep weight to power ratio and impact to suspension in my favor. Looking for any and all input from anyone who has been here and done that.
Thanks.
Tom

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,286 Posts
You need to read all of the V8 stickies, including the LS engine forum. A lot of what you want to do is dependent on your skill level and the size of your wallet.

Give us a little more info on exactly what you're wanting to do.

·
Been there Done it
8,972 Posts
Agree more info needed. A 5.7L L31 Vortec is a good street engine and an easy swap into an S10 if you can live with just under 300HP. If you need more, LS is the way to go. But more power is more work and more money.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you start with a 99-00 S10, its a very straight forward swap. You'll only have to add 2 injector wires to the pcm and tie in the 2 pink wires to the other pink wires. Other years require more wiring work, but nothing crazy difficult. I just put an L31 in my 99 S10 and a 0411 pcm swap at the same time. Really not difficult

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great replies from all. I really want to go old school, but it might be a pipe dream. I want to get rid of injectors and pcms and go to stand alone fuel injection from Edelbrock or someone with an old school looking intake manifold. As I said I am new to the custom, hot rod world and just have a dream. I have a new full size ruck, a 94 stock corvette, 2 new Harley's and am a retired mechanical engineer. I am only going to ue the S10 frame and have a free 5700. I have not yet done any research and have never seen a 5700 running without a master computer so I don't know if its easily implemented or if a manifold exists. Just thought I would come here first and see how crazy, stupid I am for even thinking about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know that intake manifolds exist for LS engine carb setups. Look up the channel "beater olds" on YouTube, he did a carbed LS using the S10 stock transmission. I can tell you the wiring is difficult if you go the EFI route but worth it and there is lots of info on wiring LS engines. As far as skill level I completed my S10 LS swap in high school in 9 months with $4000 working a full time job in the summer with hardly any prior knowledge of cars. It's about will, not skill. Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know that intake manifolds exist for LS engine carb setups. Look up the channel "beater olds" on YouTube, he did a carbed LS using the S10 stock transmission. I can tell you the wiring is difficult if you go the EFI route but worth it and there is lots of info on wiring LS engines. As far as skill level I completed my S10 LS swap in high school in 9 months with $4000 working a full time job in the summer with hardly any prior knowledge of cars. It's about will, not skill. Good luck
I like the will , not skill quote!!
My project continues and morphs with my mood. Thus far I have acquired a 1997 2.2 long box and stripped it to a bare frame, purchased a complete 1970 Corvette IRS, met with an engine builder about a short or long block build and am about to leave NY for Florida for the winter. While there I will find a body / cab to bring back to NY in the spring and proceed. Will spend the winter warmly researching engine installs, front suspension updates / mods that will play well with the Corvette rearend. Never done anything like this before but have the will!!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Keep us in the loop.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts