S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Energy Suspension polyurethane tie rod end boot replacements install thread.

I bought Power Performance Motorsports (now Proforge) front end kit with the assumption that the parts would last their 1 million mile warranty. The boots didn't last 1 year. And from what I am told, their warranty is very limited on those parts. If they get bent, or if any "wear" items (like the boots I am told) are NOT covered. Not even in a certain period of time say.. within the first year.

Enough with that.

I bought the Energy Suspension replacement kit #9.13101G from Summit for like $3.97. They are the black ones.. so I am glad for that. They feel slimy. I am sure this is a good thing for where they will be and what they will be doing.

Not that this really needs a thread, but maybe someone can get use from it. Plus I will add it to my project thread :D lol

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Decided to put it up on ramps instead of stands.

Tie rod puller. those forks are jokes, no one should use those.. IMO.

Thank you Power Performance Motorsports (aka. Proforge!!)!!

:rolleyes:

Couple things. In less than a year these castle bolts didn't want to come off too easy.. The engine paint I used on these didn't last like I thought it would.

New boot test fitted.

I did clean this side up, it was before it started to rain. Notice how the boot sits? You have to run a really small screw driver around the boot to pop it out to the outside. In certain areas it wants to pinch/bind and fold IN.. you want it OUT and looking like this.

For those who have never done this..

1. take cotter pin out.
  2. take castle nut off (11/16" socket)
  3. hook this up this way.. and put a wrench or socket on it and loosen it. I took a rubber mallet to whack it to start to turn.
  4. Take wore boot off, put new on.
  5. Do as I suggested and run a screwdriver around the outer edge/lip of the boot to seat it properly.
  6. Reinstall cotter pin
  7. Lube everything, all joints. think there are 10 IIRC.

Less than a year. Soooo.. these were worn out like 999,970,000 miles early. I know I am not the only one. And for the price for these (just the front end kit, not the ball joints) were $297.00. They sell them knowing the boots will fail. Why would they not just supply a E.S. poly kit with each kit they sell? I mean for me to purchase was less than $4.00. For them, I am sure they could work out a deal that would make them getting a kit for less than $2.00. Just not the quality I would want to put out if I owned said suspension company. Hell OEM rubber lasted longer than these cheap boots.

Done and on. It had started to rain while I was doing this, so I decided to cut it short and not clean everything up like I normally do. I plan on pulling these parts and powdercoating them soon anyway.

Good luck!

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a guy in another thread, my thread to them for getting their head out their ass.. he posted up his tearing in less than a few months, they sent him a whole new tie rod. Whatever, they are no longer a forum sponsor.. they don't feel they need to do anything for us now.

It is fixed and I have moved on.

edit: I have stock ride height also. No slammed problems, nothing like that. Just stock. That says something.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I plan on pulling these parts and powdercoating them soon anyway.
Hi Nathan,

I'm not sure what parts exactly you're referring to, but I wanted to let you know that powder coating our steering parts will ruin them - they aren't meant to handle that kind of heat. Powder coating the control arms and other metal-only parts are fine, but I wouldn't powder coat anything with grease in it.

For the steering parts, you can use Eastwood's Chassis Black:

http://www.eastwood.com/extreme-chasis-black-satin-finish-set.html

When you strip off the engine paint, make sure you use some sort of liquid remover - if you media/sand blast them, the grit will work its way into the joints and that will case them to wear out pretty quickly.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
son of a bitch!! This gawddamn forum just lost my reply!!1

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Zack.

I was pissed I had to redo them, or mess with them again so soon. And for a $4.00 part. You should look into just charging an even $300 and including a set of those boots.

Just a thought.

·
I Prefer Payne
906 Posts
you could always try that dupli-color rim paint for parts. they say its a harder and stronger paint that is made to take a beating from rocks and stuff. just a thought.

·
Ford guy stuck w/ chebby
3,117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks Payne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts