S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

End-all answer to S10 axle widths?

253K views 41 replies 17 participants last post by  What? 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I've searched many forums over the past couple of hours and have found nothing definitive. I'm trying to find accurate measurements of S10 axles, not "I think it's about xx inches wide." I need to know 2WD, 4WD and ZR2 widths from WMS to WMS. A guy has an 8.5 (or 8.625) with G80 from his ZR2 for sale for $150. I figured it would be a decent deal to use it on my 2WD. I planned on using a 4WD rear for more track width and spacer adapters in the front to widen it the same amount over stock. I need to know the definite widths of these axles to determine if the ZR2 axle would be excessive and if I should stick to the regular 4x4 axle.

#2 ·
I forgot stock EXACT measurement but I know where to find it,

But basically.

4wd, 2" wider per side than 2wd
ZR2 4wd, 4" wider per side than 2wd.

#5 ·
yea, i knew the 4x4 and the zr2 rears. didnt know the 2wd.

#6 ·
The wheels I'm using are 17x8 with 0 offset (4" BS). I'm thinking that I'll like the width of these wheels on a ZR2 axle, but the front will require an LT kit and a spacer. I need to see a pic of low-offset wheels on a ZR2, and I figure there's more of a chance of finding a ZR2 with ZQ8 wheels for reference. So, would anyone know where I could find a pic of ZQ8 or Xtreme wheels on a ZR2? Or maybe a forum with someone on there that has such a setup and I could hound them for pics? What would be the widest spacer one would consider "safe"?

#7 ·
NP, send the 750mL whiskey to me lol.

You can buy LT from any fabbers on dezertdimes.com, getting it 3.5"-6.5" are doable with coil-coilovers and with that rim and backspacing, you may not need spacer.

Once you get LT taken care of then you'll be able check if you'll need spacer or not.

#9 ·
I want to keep everything in factory proportions, just wider. So, if I use that ZR2 axle, my rear wheels will stick out 4.25" further than where they're at now. I'll need 3.25" longer arms if I use AIM spindles and 2.25" if I use Fabtech spindles. I don't think I'd mind a 2.25" spacer, so I could save the money I'd spend on an LT kit and put it towards the more expensive Fabtech spindles. I just don't think I'd wanna use a 3.25" spacer, that just kinda scares me.

#11 ·
Yeah that's all the long travel suspensions do, longer control arms equal longer range of travel. Your lookin at big bucks though just for a wider stance.

Cheap and easy is a set of wheel adapter/spacers. Not the best solution if your hard on it, but it's the cheapest and easiest way to widen the stance.

#13 ·
I'm thinkin hard on it as in offroading hard. The spacers would put added stress on the wheel bearings because of the tire being further out and adding leverage. As for road driving it, I'd see no problems, at least no problems for quite some time(still could wear on the bearing in time).

The lowered guys use spacers all the time to fit vette or front wheel drive wheels, and I havent read much dislikes from them. I'd just get some new wheel bearings just for the heck of it, they are cheap enough. I know 992drjimmy ran 2" spacers in the front with no issues while he had his lifted truck, a couple other guys have also. I'm going to get some spacers when I get my tax returns back, most likely just 1.5" just to even the rear up more with the front. I'm gonna put them in the front and see how it looks for sure.

#16 ·
I'm thinkin hard on it as in offroading hard. The spacers would put added stress on the wheel bearings because of the tire being further out and adding leverage. As for road driving it, I'd see no problems, at least no problems for quite some time(still could wear on the bearing in time).

The lowered guys use spacers all the time to fit vette or front wheel drive wheels, and I havent read much dislikes from them. I'd just get some new wheel bearings just for the heck of it, they are cheap enough. I know 992drjimmy ran 2" spacers in the front with no issues while he had his lifted truck, a couple other guys have also. I'm going to get some spacers when I get my tax returns back, most likely just 1.5" just to even the rear up more with the front. I'm gonna put them in the front and see how it looks for sure.

Well, I feel better about the spacers. Maybe I'll try 'em out for a while until I can save the cash for the LT kit. I just got new bearings and races when I did my front brakes about two months ago, so I should be okay. I'm also gonna get a full set of Power Performance BJs. I guess I should order them now so I'll have a better chance of getting them by summer!:rolleyes:

BTW, Fabtech's instructions for the spindles says:

WHEEL SPACERS MUST NOT BE INSTALLED WITH THESE 3" LIFT SPINDLES!

Is that to prevent excessive wear to the bearings and/or BJs, or is it because the spindles could break (spindle separate from the knuckle, etc)?

#15 ·
Yeah no problem bro, you want to pay double? lol

#22 ·
Curiosity kept gnawing at me, so I called AIM. The sales rep told me that their LT kit was 3" per side. Everything I've been reading said it was 2.5" per side. So, are the arms actually 3" longer than the stock arms, but accounting for the arch they swing in and with the truck on the ground, you would net +2.5" per side? I'm not really that concerned about a half inch, I'm just curious about some details of what I've been reading.

BTW, if anyone's interested to know, AIM's LT kit on their website comes with a 3" coil and it's $895. It's $825 if you want the kit, but not their coils.

#23 ·
Ya i am getting metul munky's zr2 axle for my BB possibly next week, because to the addition to my front suspension it is now 4.5" wider on each side so the Z rear end will compliment it truely

#25 ·
Anyone have a "left over" narrow 54.5" WMF to WMF axle assembly, complete with 3.42 gears for sale? Drum or disc, open or Posi? Do you think the axle and drum/dick could be redrilled for 5 on 100mm wheel bolt pattern? this will be going on a 1969 Opel GT if the dimensions work out.
Preferably in the pacific NW, ie TriCities area of Washington state.

Dennis in West Richland, WA

#27 ·
I have read this forum and just want to ask...I have a 4wd rear end out of a blazer (not a zr2 4wd) that I just got out of the junk yard. its going on my 2wd s10 pick up. are the wheels gonna stick out past my fenders like a hot rod? it is a sport side if that makes a dif. prob wont make a difference though. thanks

#29 ·
Here's the deal. I was told to get spaces for the rear because they set to far in as it is. That's why I was wondering will this just get rid of the need for spacers? The main thing I want from all this is the disc breaks. My SS already has 3.42 posi. Just not the disc breaks. And the rear wheels need to be pushed out some. I didn't think 2" would be any more than what the spacers would have did. Is this thinking wrong? It's not a zr2 4wd rear. It's just regular 4wd rear and it has 3.42 posi.

#30 ·
You can swap the disc components with the exception of the rotors. You'll need the spacers from s10 warehouse to space the axel brackets out. Easy swap...afternoon will do it if you're prepared and have all of the parts. That way you'll still have the hop shock.

#31 ·
I agree with the wheels looking all tucked in. I just bolted on some 1" spacers and let it be. I probably could have fit 1.25", but I didn't want the tire that close to the fender. I had wider tires at the time and they tucked a bit with the amount of drop. On hard turns, the sidewalls would still rub the fenders because of the rear end shifting and sidewalls rolling. A 4WD rear would be too wide if all you want is to push the wheels out some. A ZR2 rear is outta the question as it's about 4" wider than a regular 4WD rear. Swap the disc brakes from that Blazer rear you have onto your axle and add some spacers to bring the wheels out to where you want them. You can easily roll the fender lips for another 1/2" or so of clearance.

#33 ·
I have decide to swap the disc over to the 2wd and the posi unit as well. Mine is shot. Just one wheels turns even in burn out. Question is will rotors from a canary work with my discs from the blazer rear end? Some people are say they won't work and I have seen after market kits for my truck and the cent of the rotors are deep! The centers of the after market and the factory camaros are much much shorter. By like 3". will camaro rotors work if I swap disc assembly over to my 2wd? Or do I need to buy after market rotors from little shop of horrors who sells the whole kit?

#35 ·
Ive been trying to find answers to my question, but have been unsuccessful. My needs are for a 59" 98 and newer 8.5 with disc rear, Gu6 3.42 and G80 Posi rear, with 30 spline axels. I believe this rear would need to come from a 98 and newer 4wd truck/Blazer? Were the 30 spline axels available in the 59" disc rear end configuration? Is there a code on the metal tab for 30 Spline? Lastly, if this beast exits from the factory, what yr and configuration of S10 do I need to locate to borrow its rear from?
This rear is needed for a dropped 70 Blazer. The 12 bolt I currently have is a 73 3.73 12 bolt truck rear, but measures 63.75" wms to wms. A narrower rear will allow for some deeper dish wheels and I really want rear disc brakes. Thanks in advace.

#37 ·
If someone with all of the knowledge would put together a comprehensive rear end thread with ALL of the info that pertains...it could probably be made a sticky....and locked, just to keep the useless posts out...just saying'....hint....hint...

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.