S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Sold :'(
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Curiosity kept gnawing at me, so I called AIM. The sales rep told me that their LT kit was 3" per side. Everything I've been reading said it was 2.5" per side. So, are the arms actually 3" longer than the stock arms, but accounting for the arch they swing in and with the truck on the ground, you would net +2.5" per side? I'm not really that concerned about a half inch, I'm just curious about some details of what I've been reading.

BTW, if anyone's interested to know, AIM's LT kit on their website comes with a 3" coil and it's $895. It's $825 if you want the kit, but not their coils.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Ya i am getting metul munky's zr2 axle for my BB possibly next week, because to the addition to my front suspension it is now 4.5" wider on each side so the Z rear end will compliment it truely

·
Registered
2 Posts
The year of truck really had nothing to do with the width of the rear end, except for the years that ZR2s were made. And, yes, a 4x4 rear end will be a direct swap for your truck. What? listed the different widths in the third post of this thread.
I hate to bring up an old thread but I want to nail this down because I have read that the 1990 and earlier differ from the 1991 and later S10 rear axles in width (as well as 4X4 and 2X2) giving 4 different widths...

If xtremist's post (and post 3) is correct, then there are NOT 4 widths, but just the three mentioned. .... Right?

(FWIW I am using a 1992 2X2 axle in my rod and it is indeed 54.5 WMS - WMS)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have a "left over" narrow 54.5" WMF to WMF axle assembly, complete with 3.42 gears for sale? Drum or disc, open or Posi? Do you think the axle and drum/dick could be redrilled for 5 on 100mm wheel bolt pattern? this will be going on a 1969 Opel GT if the dimensions work out.
Preferably in the pacific NW, ie TriCities area of Washington state.

Dennis in West Richland, WA

·
OnyxSS
58 Posts
I have read this forum and just want to ask...I have a 4wd rear end out of a blazer (not a zr2 4wd) that I just got out of the junk yard. its going on my 2wd s10 pick up. are the wheels gonna stick out past my fenders like a hot rod? it is a sport side if that makes a dif. prob wont make a difference though. thanks

·
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Look where they are now and picture them about 2" further out. I'm pretty sure they'll be about flush with the outside of the fenders, as in, the fenders will get bent if you hit a hard bump or carry weight in the bed. You could run Camaro/Corvette wheels and get spacers for the front.

·
OnyxSS
58 Posts
Here's the deal. I was told to get spaces for the rear because they set to far in as it is. That's why I was wondering will this just get rid of the need for spacers? The main thing I want from all this is the disc breaks. My SS already has 3.42 posi. Just not the disc breaks. And the rear wheels need to be pushed out some. I didn't think 2" would be any more than what the spacers would have did. Is this thinking wrong? It's not a zr2 4wd rear. It's just regular 4wd rear and it has 3.42 posi.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,526 Posts
You can swap the disc components with the exception of the rotors. You'll need the spacers from s10 warehouse to space the axel brackets out. Easy swap...afternoon will do it if you're prepared and have all of the parts. That way you'll still have the hop shock.

·
7,555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I agree with the wheels looking all tucked in. I just bolted on some 1" spacers and let it be. I probably could have fit 1.25", but I didn't want the tire that close to the fender. I had wider tires at the time and they tucked a bit with the amount of drop. On hard turns, the sidewalls would still rub the fenders because of the rear end shifting and sidewalls rolling. A 4WD rear would be too wide if all you want is to push the wheels out some. A ZR2 rear is outta the question as it's about 4" wider than a regular 4WD rear. Swap the disc brakes from that Blazer rear you have onto your axle and add some spacers to bring the wheels out to where you want them. You can easily roll the fender lips for another 1/2" or so of clearance.

·
OnyxSS
58 Posts
I have decide to swap the disc over to the 2wd and the posi unit as well. Mine is shot. Just one wheels turns even in burn out. Question is will rotors from a canary work with my discs from the blazer rear end? Some people are say they won't work and I have seen after market kits for my truck and the cent of the rotors are deep! The centers of the after market and the factory camaros are much much shorter. By like 3". will camaro rotors work if I swap disc assembly over to my 2wd? Or do I need to buy after market rotors from little shop of horrors who sells the whole kit?

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,526 Posts
2wd Blazer others will work fine.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ive been trying to find answers to my question, but have been unsuccessful. My needs are for a 59" 98 and newer 8.5 with disc rear, Gu6 3.42 and G80 Posi rear, with 30 spline axels. I believe this rear would need to come from a 98 and newer 4wd truck/Blazer? Were the 30 spline axels available in the 59" disc rear end configuration? Is there a code on the metal tab for 30 Spline? Lastly, if this beast exits from the factory, what yr and configuration of S10 do I need to locate to borrow its rear from?
This rear is needed for a dropped 70 Blazer. The 12 bolt I currently have is a 73 3.73 12 bolt truck rear, but measures 63.75" wms to wms. A narrower rear will allow for some deeper dish wheels and I really want rear disc brakes. Thanks in advace.

·
LS3 Cruisin'
2,055 Posts
Please start a new thread with questions, as opposed to bumping old dead threads, especially if you aren't adding any new or updated information in the context of the old thread (which in this case you are not).

Also, welcome.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,526 Posts
If someone with all of the knowledge would put together a comprehensive rear end thread with ALL of the info that pertains...it could probably be made a sticky....and locked, just to keep the useless posts out...just saying'....hint....hint...

·
Registered
6 Posts
98 Sonosis, first off, I'm not seeing how to start a new thread, second why do I need to start another when the question asked totally relates to this very topic? Why such arrogance? You're welcome!!!

·
B4U Task Force Admin
29,526 Posts
98 Sonosis, first off, I'm not seeing how to start a new thread, second why do I need to start another when the question asked totally relates to this very topic? Why such arrogance? You're welcome!!!
Because that's the rules.

·
Registered
143 Posts
putting a FULL size blazer on the S10/blazer axle seams wrong , since the axle tubes on the full size are larger than the s10/blazer

i think you would be better off using a full size truck rear end , with the larger tubes and outter bearings , or just sticking with the truck 12bolt , since they are a stronger unit

21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.