S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I set my emergency brake. It engages my rear drums, I pull my brake release handle my cable is connected to the release handle mechanism. But it will not lift up the foot pedal that engages my emergency brake and then I have to manually hold the brake release out and pull up on the brake foot pedal to get it to release. I replaced the foot pedal assembly before with a junkyard one and after I installed it it would release when I pull down the handle and bring the pedal up but after a short period It quit doing it. Is it the tension on the cable that runs under the body of the truck where there's a spring and a nut adjustment or is it the pedal assembly itself or is it something else?
Thanks

·
It's mostly BS
2,749 Posts
If you can get the pedal up and then you feel tension when reapplying the pedal, then the cable probably is not seized up. More than likely, the pedal asm is f'ed up. Those things fail all the time and aren't repairable. I just replaced mine and disassembled the old one. It's a one time assembly that gets destroyed if you take it apart unless you have some serious skills and access to a machine shop. Some guys have had luck lubing them up but it didn't work on mine.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks yeah I kind of thought so too, I tried lubing it to it seemed to work for maybe a day or two and that was it. Is there a certain trick or tool to use when I take the brake cable out though and reinstall it into the new pedal arm?

I remember when I removed and put the new arm assembly in it was so hard to get that cable to go into that slot in the arm it took me like three hours trying to manipulate it with a flat head screwdriver without it popping back out while I did it where can I release that cable to prevent that from happening and making it so hard?

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,042 Posts
tie fishing line to it BEFORE you unhook it.

·
94 4x4,01 Blazer
2001 Blazer 4dr 4wd LT
1,042 Posts
the cable has a middle line adjustment- its a slide lock- back it off(carefully) to get your slack

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The middle line adjustment is under the driver door area? The equalizer? looks like a 10 inch threaded bracket with a nut on it. So I'm going to loosen that turning that counterclockwise only getting about a quarter of a turn out of each turn? And loosen it alot huh?

·
It's mostly BS
2,749 Posts
I don't know if there's a better way or not but I pushed in the pedal and then vice gripped the cable end to keep it from sliding back in. I then worked the pedal back up to get the pressure off the cable and then removed the whole assembly so I could work the cable end out of the holder with some stout needle nose. Once that was out, I used a box end wrench to slide over that retainer to bend in the tabs. It worked OK but I ended up bending the tabs in with needle nose. When I put it back on, i pushed all the tabs in because it's not needed to hold it in since putting the cable end into the holder stops the cable from coming off. It will make it easier to get out the next time the piece of crap screws up.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
okay thanks for the tips rimara that does seem like a better method than just a single flat head screwdriver that I used before trying to get that cable into position with it so tight like that I think I tried to release the equalizer under it before to release tension but it didn't do anything the part under the passenger side that the cable connects and it has an adjustment with a nut and a 10 inch piece of threaded connector. it would be nice if I could get the all the slack off that line so it's not so hard to insert the brake cable into the slot of the new brake pedal assembly cuz that's the whole fight of the whole thing here.

I'll update you as soon as I get this part and put it in and see how this method does if I don't find another easier one thanks.

·
B4U Task Force Admin
24,243 Posts
okay thanks for the tips rimara that does seem like a better method than just a single flat head screwdriver that I used before trying to get that cable into position with it so tight like that I think I tried to release the equalizer under it before to release tension but it didn't do anything the part under the passenger side that the cable connects and it has an adjustment with a nut and a 10 inch piece of threaded connector. it would be nice if I could get the all the slack off that line so it's not so hard to insert the brake cable into the slot of the new brake pedal assembly cuz that's the whole fight of the whole thing here.

I'll update you as soon as I get this part and put it in and see how this method does if I don't find another easier one thanks.
Pretty sure the has been covered before...Rule 12 still applies...

Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts