S-10 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone broke into my truck a few weeks ago...again...:cuss:

While they were raping me of everything I held holly in my new truck, they broke off the emergency blinker button that rest on top of the steering column.

Now my blinkers are always on, truck is on they are on, truck is off they are on still. Nothing made it stop, so I pulled the fuse...now the turn signals didn't work...so I had to put the fuse back in and of course they started blinking again.

You guys don't want to know what the dealer wanted to replace the stupid thing. That is out of the question. So now I am left with cutting the wire that would control them but still let me use my turn signals.

Anyone know what wire to cut? This is insane that a little button causes this much trouble.

·
Drive It Like U Stole It!
31 Posts
Try to find you a wrecked one at a junk yard. Most preferably one that you can pick the parts yourself. If its just the button then take one while your out there. If its the switch then you'le probably be better off buying a steering column thats been damaged or something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sorry to hear about your loss of property. there is nothing lower than a thief.
I have a 97 std cab and had the same problem and I fixed for nothing, just allitle time. To determine if this fix will work for you, first replace all the fuses so the flasher start blinking, turn the ignition over to run and turn on a turn signal. Then take a ink pen or something and put into the flasher switch hole and push it all the way down. the flashers should stop, then slowly raise the the switch up, the turn signal will start working. when this happens hold still and turn the signal the other way and see if it flases correctly. If all this worked then raise up the switch alittle more and the flashers will work.
If this is how yours works then here is what I done to fix it. Remove the steering wheel and the plastic housing that covers the turn signals. Find a piece of thin rubber, that can be rolled up and forced down into the switch. Force the switch all the way to the bottom, turn on the turn signal and raise the rubber plug up until the signals work. I then put a short screw into the rubber to expand it out and hold it in to position. This fixes the turn signal but you will not have any flashers. Hope this works for you.

·
Aye! Sea Turtles
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just put a screw in there to temp. fix the problem. It's one heck of an eye-sore if you ask me. Just a nice big hole on the left side of my steering wheel.

Did you cover yours with anything?

·
Registered
9 Posts
My screw is below the plastic housing and it is a chrome top screw so it is not to noticeable. I am now looking for something to fill the hole.
I don't know if a wire can be cut to fix this. the turn signal assembly controls everything on the steering wheel except the ignition and airbag. even the horn runs through it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.