S-10 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for accepting my request. My question. My truck doesn't want to run good, but I can take negative battery cable off and reboot EMC, and will run good, until next day. Any advice you'll could give would be appreciated.

·
Been there Done it
15,769 Posts
I assume you mean ECM (Engine Control Module). Check all the connectors at the ECM. It's possible, although not likely you have a bad ECM. I have had one in all my years of doing this stuff. It had gotten water in it from a windshield leak. Which pooled inside and shorted something. More likely a wiring issue. Check to be sure your battery cables are clean and tight on all ends of them. Try turning all your accessories like heater and radio off before shut down.
Does it only fix itself if you reset the computer or will it settle down when it warms up?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for replying, if I don't reboot computer each time, it will run awful, it surges, want idel, shuts off. I priced new computer, from Firefox, I think that's the. name. $249. Do you think I should try that? Thank you again.

·
Been there Done it
15,769 Posts
Awful pricey. Some members have had good luck with Spare ECM (IIRC) on eBay.
Be sure the numbers on the tag match yours so that it's the right one. They used a few different ones that year. I believe it depended on where the truck was going. California or the rest of the country.
Then all you have to do is remove the PROM chip from your old one and put it in the new one. It contains all the info specific to your individual truck.
As I said above a replacement ECM is a long shot, but it possibly is your culprit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for replying, if I don't reboot computer each time, it will run awful, it surges, want idel, shuts off. I priced new computer, from Firefox, I think that's the. name. $249. Do you think I should try that? Thank you again.
[/URL]
Be sure the numbers on the tag match yours so that it's the right one. They used a few different ones that year. I believe it depended on where the truck was going. California or the rest of the country.
Then all you have to do is remove the PROM chip from your old one and put it in the new one. It contains all the info specific to your individual truck.
As I said above a replacement ECM is a long shot, but it possibly is your culprit.
Thank you , I will try ebay. Will let you know if it worked.

·
Been there Done it
15,769 Posts
Well then I think we need to do a systematic diagnosis of the truck and find out what the problem is.
Let's start with the 2 most common issues:
Let me know what you find out.
It also wouldn't hurt to see if you have any trouble codes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well then I think we need to do a systematic diagnosis of the truck and find out what the problem is.
Let's start with the 2 most common issues:
Let me know what you find out.
It also wouldn't hurt to see if you have any trouble codes.
I hope we have found the trouble, a friend helped find the problem, a wire was grounding out that went to the throttle control sensor. Thanks for all your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts