S-10 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
99 S-10 extended cab 2 door 4x4 4.3l
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 3 door s-10 4x4 with a 4.3 l auto that i am bringing back to life. When I turn the ignition switch on the only dash lights that come on is the check engine / service engine soon light and some of the gauges seem to function. When I plug my scanner into the test port to check for codes all the other lights come on as they normally would and the gauges work as expected.
I believe that I have bad grounds behind the dash and they are grounding through the scanner and test port ground. Is this possible and how hard will it be to repair? Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Been there Done it
15,261 Posts
On your 99 the 2 primary dash grounds are under the edge of passengers carpet at the very top next to the trans tunnel. On the floor where it meets the firewall. That area can rust.
There is also a ground splice SP202 near the ashtray and another SP203 under the "left center of the dash". just follow the black ground wires to where they come together. You'll need to remove some of the insulation panels above the drivers legs and in the center of the dash. You can follow the black wires from the DLC to SP203 and the lighter's black ground to SP202. Check that all the wires going into those splice blocks are undamaged. Usually are OK. Nothing gets at them unless you've got critters in the truck. My 87 K1500 has nests in the heating ducts each fall. And they stink.
If the truck sat awhile they've probably built condos under the dash.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts