S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an '85 w/ 2.5 iron duke and i want to swap in a quick ratio steering box. Got the box, but my truck doesn't have power steering, and that's definitely needed for the quick ratio. Mounting a power steering pump has 2 problems: first, I can't find any brackets for the 2.5; and second, it will suck power from an already feeble engine. So I'm wondering, has anyone done or considered doing electric power steering? Seen a couple Youtube vids on DIY from a Prius and Saturn EPAS units into some old cars & pickups. Looks slick, but the devil's in the details.... Any advice?

·
time to get cereal
3,723 Posts
Hydraulic power steering doesn't suck power, trust me, I went from power to manual and there is no power difference. Just get the bracket off of a truck at the junkyard and buy the pump hoses for it.

Also, if your quick ratio box is made for power steering, you should really have it hooked up correctly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
2.5 w/ power steering - been unable to find any in the junk yards.
What do you mean "should really have it hooked up correctly"? Yes, the new steering box is for power steering.

·
time to get cereal
3,723 Posts
Then you should have the hydraulic system hooked up... Electric power steering is not hydraulic.

·
time to get cereal
3,723 Posts
I think it was 24:1, about 6 turns lock-to-lock. The effort was fine with 205/65r15s, it was slightly harder to steer with 245/45r17s. You just have to get it rolling a little bit before turning the wheels, don't steer with the vehicle stationary.

Also, make sure your alignment is good. Bad caster settings will make the steering harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts