S-10 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the post that I have linked to there were some electric fans that lil_blue_sonoma installed. I was curious as to which ones they are as I would like to do the same conversion to my truck. Also my truck is a 2.2 does that make a difference?

·
Registered
456 Posts
i would imagine nearly any reasonably sized fan would fit a 2.2 bc any any reasonably sized fan would fit a 4.3 too. plenty of room. ive had good luck with Spal branded fans.
the better question is: why are you doing an e-fan? the stock one should be good enough.

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
I used a Ford Tempo electric fan and temp switch with my '01, has worked fine for years. Probably getting hard to come by these years though.

Reactions: Gen210

·
Been there Done it
14,403 Posts
Yeah, not too many 20+ year old Tempos still around.
I'm with @needawheel on this. Why? Unless you do a really good job on the install and wiring it'll be more trouble that the fan that came on it and is working fine. Oh, you might gain 2 HP, but could lose half that if the alternator has to work harder. And if anything fails a 2.2L doesn't like being over heated. Could gain a HP and lose an engine.
Just my humble opinion, your truck, do what you think is best.

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
The fan barely turns on on mine, mostly at idle. Also don't have AC, power steering, or a radio. Probably not straining the alternator at all.

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,591 Posts
The reason is I want to do away with the clutch fan that is starting to act up and I'd like to try and get rid of some of the parasitic drag from it.
It seems like it would be more of a parasitic drag on your wallet, for not much appreciable gain. I'd stick with the OEM fan arrangement, and just replace it if needed.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I am with Oldeerslayer, and @needawheel, I did the 240 dollar "Kit" from FF Dynamics(EBAY), Came with Everything, Works Fine now, The Diode in the stock alternator Crapped out and Melted the Control module in the middle of a 100 degree day in Georgia and sent the Coolant Temp up to 245 degrees before I pulled over and let it sit for a while.
also kept killing the Battery, So after a New Battery, "The Big Three" New 165amp Alternator, new fan controller, They are working fine 6 Years now... Do I save Gas? I can't tell because I have done so much to My 2.2, Do I have More HP? again, I don't know, I pulled the 2.2 and had it rebuilt 7 years ago. I did some work on the Head, Roller Tip Rockers, 1.6 Ratio, (Mine Is a 1995)
So All said... It May be a little More HP But Not Noticeable.
2 more things I have to say...A) I have had 8 S10 Vehicles over the years. To Me the Fans Mechanical Fans were SOOOO Loud!!! no Matter what engine was in them.
B) If Everyone Installing a V-8 in their S10 has to Use Electric Fans due to "room" Then Why Can't I use them in MY S10?
By The Way it Does make the engine Quieter But My Exhaust is Louder... Go Figure.
Good Luck Whatever your Decision.
Scott

·
Registered
90 Posts
It seems like it would be more of a parasitic drag on your wallet, for not much appreciable gain. I'd stick with the OEM fan arrangement, and just replace it if needed.
YES!!! My Wallet Got Lighter after all of the "Problems" mine caused!
If You Think about it Automotive Engineers have a Ton Of Knowledge when they design any car, Leaving Things "Stock" is the most economical and Reliable But... Who wants Stock?
Scott

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
E fans are definitely worth it. The initial expense will be paid back at the gas pump

·
Premium Member
2003 Sonoma SLS ext. cab 4.3L / 4x4
1,591 Posts
E fans are definitely worth it. The initial expense will be paid back at the gas pump
Just curious - do you have any numbers that show that? Mainly, what is the payback period (ROI) on the total expenditure for e-fans vs. the projected gas savings?

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
No I do not have those numbers especially since vehicles and driving habits are never the same. I can tell you this much power is definitely enhanced without having a belt driven fan. My old 02 Blazer 4.3 had much better power overall with the e fans installed and the actual fuel mileage did go up roughly 6 miles to the tank. I also had a 96 2.2 5 speed that had similar results, that poor 2.2 and a clutch fan was definitely not a good combination.
Dual fan assembly from the boneyard was 20.00, Bosch relays were about 35.00, 2 rolls of wire 15.00 and about 2 hours of work.

Reactions: dnyce

·
Registered
456 Posts
No I do not have those numbers especially since vehicles and driving habits are never the same. I can tell you this much power is definitely enhanced without having a belt driven fan. My old 02 Blazer 4.3 had much better power overall with the e fans installed and the actual fuel mileage did go up roughly 6 miles to the tank. I also had a 96 2.2 5 speed that had similar results, that poor 2.2 and a clutch fan was definitely not a good combination.
Dual fan assembly from the boneyard was 20.00, Bosch relays were about 35.00, 2 rolls of wire 15.00 and about 2 hours of work.
ive probably asked before but did you upgrade your big wires and alt too?
6 miles over 17 or so gal aint much, though it does add up, especially nowadays. its a time thing in my case. no way i could even go to the yard and pull fans in 2 hr, personally. i spend an hr looking for the lane the car is in half the time
i have everything laying around except a high output / high efficiency alt and i will still probably wait til my stock fan croaks.

along the same lines, i would love to see someone post battery upgrades, mainly because i dont have a vision on how to do it under the hood... big alt without big battery is kind of a waste in my opinion.

alternatively mbp has the right idea to just delete everything though... if you do that with an auto tranny you should have a gauge for the tranny temp in my opinion... if not a seperate cooler/fan for just the tranny

i wonder how warm a 4.3 can run to max out mpg but also dont feel like experimenting either. they run forever stock...

·
time to get cereal
6,686 Posts
I did mine for under 50 bucks. I decided to replace the heater pipe with stainless pipe and added a T for the fan switch.

Didn't really care about gas mileage, mostly wanted to see the engine better and have better throttle response, and I got both.

Don't think there is any reason to upgrade the alternator. Do you think the Cavalier or any other FWD has an upgraded alternator or wiring, special battery?

Reactions: Gen210

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
I look at it this way, I gained mpg but most of all I gained power.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts