S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im considering putting on an electric fan to get rid of the belt driven fan. Just dont know if it will cool with my new motor. How many cfm's does the stock fan pull? What would be a good efan to use and how many cfm's? And how do I wire it, do I just rig up a switch to turn it on and off or can I somehow make it come on with the coolant temp? The new motor is a carbed 4.3l and the fan(s) needs to be able to cool up to 350hp. The computer wont be used but I'll have the coolant temp sensor hooked up for my gauge, thats all. Whats the best way to do it?

·
2nd place is the1st loser
238 Posts
A late model v6 taurus fan is a great e-fan.It pulls plenty of cfms and its cheap.Or you can buy a black majic or others that fit the S10.

·
S-Clusive's Jester
3,085 Posts
go to truckperformance.com they'll show you every good e- fan for your truck. flex-a-lite fans are the best i think.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
You need over 2200 CFM to maintain cooling of the stock at idle, more as it approaches the clutch out. There is a guy on Ebay selling fans for Hot Rods he says that are 16 inch in diameter and move 2750 or 2950 CFM for under $75!!! If you do the system hookups right you can mimic the stock clutch very closely, but using a thermo switch alone WILL NOT cool it as the stock clutch did and it will run hotter!!

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
Major drawback to Efan installs is trusting and using just a temp relay switch where it just goes on a X temp. If you run a 160 stat only one company makes one that turns on at a lower temp. The idea behind the efan is one, to save the water pump bearing, second is to add more power, right? If your efan doesnt turn on until about the point youve hit the stat temp, what good is it. Your average temp is higher than running the clutch and then when the stat opens it allowing hotter coolant to cycle and one thing you'll see alot with the efan is it holding right at your stat level and never dropping when coolant cycles. Every 10 degrees is known to add 1 h.p. If your base average temp is up youve taken away most of the gain the efan is suppose to give. Efans only give back around 5 h.p. tops against a clutch, but your temps could be averaging 20-50 degrees hotter eating 2-5 h.p. back. Underhood temps are a direct result of motor temps. So what you want to do is mimic the clutch. Run at idle even if the relay temp isnt met etc. keeping it at max cool. So you run a override which can be trigger by the throttle linkage using a nitrous style switch so anytime it seeing 1000's rpm or less, its on. % speed you can microswitch the shifter so when in first its on etc.

You've then mimiced the clutch better making it keep the rad cool instead of allowing it to build heat while at slow speeds or idle and once moving at a decent rate its off just like the clutch wihout having to keep and eye on it and then having to toggle switch it.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man sounds like a lot of effort to wire it like that. Could you just play the toggle when at a stop or when the temp gets warm enough? How about going with a flexfan instead?

Another thing, what would be a good tstat to run in my engine--I have a 180 for it right now but maybe I should drop it to a 160? The 160 would help with cooling but wouldnt the 180 give more power due to better combustion temps?

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
180 for better mileage, 160 for the max power gain you could achieve from a stat. Yes you could toggle it instead of running a temp relay which would save you around $30. I toggled the last truck after running a series of temp tests proving what I previously posted, but it was a pain to remember all the time to switch on and off!!

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
How would a flex fan compare to a clutch and efan? Whats the reason a 160 would outperform a 180 stat? thanks for your help

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
694 Posts
all the tests I've seen on flex fans indicates theyr'e terrible for hp. The best is a good elec. set up & then a thermal-clutch.

·
Registered
281 Posts
does ford use the same e-fan for both the 3.0 and the 3.8L engines? If not, which one is the one you guys are referring to?

·
Chrome is Gay
3,693 Posts
ReedZ said:
does ford use the same e-fan for both the 3.0 and the 3.8L engines? If not, which one is the one you guys are referring to?
I believe 3.8 and 3.0 are different, the fan they are talking about is a dual speed (low and high). If I remember right they're pulling them out of early 90's taurus's.

BTW there's a guy on e-bay selling them, or at least there was a little while back.

·
Kramerica Industries
342 Posts
You want the 3.8L as it is 2-speed, the 3.0L is not in most cases.

Here are the years:
3.8 Lincoln Continental's 90-94,
3.8 Mercury Sable's 90-95,
3.8 Ford Taurus 90-95

·
My-chilled, MACH boost
694 Posts
What's the fan diameter on those? I know the late mustang 1s measure 19" which is the same as the oridge stock fan.

·
Registered
466 Posts
My 2 speed ford fan measures 15 1/2". It worked for me never over heated. I don't need it so if your interested let me know. 2 speed fan relays wiring thermostat fuses.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Major drawback to Efan installs is trusting and using just a temp relay switch where it just goes on a X temp. If you run a 160 stat only one company makes one that turns on at a lower temp
I wired my low speed to a keyed wire so it was on all the time. And the high speed to the thermostat. But I never hooked the high side to the AC so it would be on high when the AC is on because I couldn't find the right diode.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts