S-10 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hotwire and myself just installed my Flex-a-lite #60 on my truck today. While coming home I ran into a lot of traffic while I had my A/C on. I noticed my temp just kept climbing. I got worried it wasn't going to come back down so I turned the A/C off. When I got back up to speed (50-60 MPH) it took a long time to get the engine cooled down.

I was wondering what temp other guys trucks have been running at during the summer months with the A/C on? I am afraid the fan is not doing a good enough job at cooling.

I have the 160 stat installed and the temp would not get back down to 160 degrees with the e-fan, with the mechanical fan it would.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Thats what my truck would do when I had my old 16" Imperial fan on. I always had to put the stock fan on in the summer. Its been working great with the Mustang fan. You might need to add a 10" pusher fan to the condencer. Another problem I had was the radiator cap was bad and the system wasnt pressurizing. That makes it run really hot. I also had a sticking thermostat. Is your coolant in good shape? I put in a can of Problend 40 Below in april and it stays cooler than it used to. Also set up the fan so that it comes on with the a/c so the engine doesnt get a chance to heat soak.

·
Registered
508 Posts
By the way my engine is running about 170 and gets to about 190 with a/c on and in traffic. Thats with the outside temp. at 110. I put in a 180 T-stat. The mechanical fan always ran 190-220 degrees.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
VegasGMC- Before we installed the e-fan, my truck would normally run at 160-175 with the A/C off. With the A/C on and in traffic it would get up to 195-200.

The system is pressurizing- I can squeze the upper hoze and cannot compact it. As for as I know the coolant is in good condition. It is the 5 year/150,000 mile orange stuff (my truck is a 2000).

·
Registered
47 Posts
The 60 Series should be fine on your truck.
Mine switches on about 180F with a 160F stat and, like Vegas, my temp will climb to about 190F or slightly higher while sitting (stop and go) in traffic at 95F and +90% humidity.
I do not have my fan wired into the AC, but it is set to run with the engine off.
Sounds like you need to have the fan power up at a lower temp than your present setting.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Because of all the problems with Dex-Cool, GM has changed the service interval to 3 years. You might want to flush your cooling system and put in some fresh fluid.

·
Ranger Invaider
102 Posts
I would deffinately wire that thing to come on with the A/C. Anytime you run the A/C you are going to want that thing running. You can pick up and A/C relay from summit racing for dirt cheap too. If you have a t-stat on your fan I'd set it lower as well. It sounds like your fan just isn't starting up soon enough. If you can get it to kick in sooner and stay on while your A/C is running you might just come out alright. Oh yeah and you might also try putting in a bottle of water wetter (also available from summit or most auto stores) it helps keep your engine temps cooler as well.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the fan set to come on at about 160 degrees, it is wired to come on with the A/C. I think I might try a secondary pusher fan. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
47 Posts
I think you may have something else going on, possibly air in your cooling system.
I have the same fan and live in 95F, 90% humidity and also run a supercharger, which makes things a bit warmer and don't hit the temps you do.
A second fan is probably not necessary, given
the large number of 60 fan users who do not use a second fan. If your truck cools down when driving, it's probably not the stat.
It's just a thought wrt air or something in your cooling system.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I was also having another problem. My fairly new thermostat wasnt opening all the way. The truck was running hot for 2 months and got worse when I put on the electric fan. I couldnt use the a/c. I never thought to check the t-stat because it was so new. I thought it was the alternator not putting out enough juice for the fan. I pulled the thermostat and it was covered with some chrystaline crap. It had pushed out the rubber o-ring and the flang gasket was just starting to leak. I had to use a puddy knife to scrape out the housing because the t-stat wouldnt fit. I put in a new 180 and its been working perfectly.

·
General L33
1,947 Posts
his truck is ok, there is nothing wrong w/ the cooling system. The truck is a low mileage 2k w/ everything in tact, most still factory.

I was wondering about the 60, just didn't seem to be turning a whole bunch of air out.

The fan is installed correctly. We centered it on the rad, install the temp sensor in the fins, 4th row down under the top rad hose.

He has two custom brass posts on the battery, so I took the easy way out and hooked the power there, pos to pos, neg to neg. Should be getting power full tilt to the fan w/ no problem.

I wired the fan to the a/c compressor and ran a line to a wire that was hot w/ the ignition. We set the thermo switch while it was idling in the garage, and he had his a/c on so it should have been running constantly.

I can't think of anything it could be besides the size of the fan, although a lot of other guys are using them, I have heard a couple complain about temps.

Tim, if there is anything else I can do, let me know.

ps, you all have to check his truck out, clean and sweet!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Jeff

Nice to hear from you Jeff. I made it home OK, it took me longer to get home becuase of traffic on I-95.

I was thinking of adding a pusher fan, but I noticed everybody else who has the 60 is not complaining. Maybe I am just affraid it will get too hot and cause damage. I think I am going to call Flex-A-Lite and see if I should add a pusher fan.

Again Jeff, thanks a lot for helping me out.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah man, I drove my friends 2WD Sonoma (little sway bar up front and no sway bar in the back), it was nasty compared to mine. A lot of body roll!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts