S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had to replace my fan, both shroud pieces, and radiator. they were on about a week and a half and the fan tore the shroud up again. no its not my motor mounts. i cant afford to keep replacing these parts so id like to move to an electric fan system. its a no brainer at this point. better performance and no more problems out of the clunky stock fan. where my dilemma arises is i dont know what fan to use and how to wire a thermostat up right and keep the radiator in place without using the stock shroud because the stock one is junk. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated

·
B4U Task Force Admin
25,729 Posts
There are lots of threads in the V8 Discussion and LSx section.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Do some reading on electric fans. There’s a lot of info. I’ve used the 82-92 camaro e fan with the camaro upper shroud. Lots of info here. Do some searching

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I like the Dodge Intrepid fans

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've looked and can't find one that's recent and they are very vague. I don't wanna drag up and old thread because I know that usually frustrates everyone
There are lots of threads in the V8 Discussion and LSx section.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I've looked and can't find one that's recent and they are very vague. I don't wanna drag up and old thread because I know that usually frustrates everyone
Yes they are old threads. That’s because nothing has changed. They are not all vague. There is plenty of e fan info. Just read thru them. Mine is even in there with pics and details I posted years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
49 Posts
I recently had to replace my fan, both shroud pieces, and radiator. they were on about a week and a half and the fan tore the shroud up again. no its not my motor mounts. i cant afford to keep replacing these parts so id like to move to an electric fan system. its a no brainer at this point. better performance and no more problems out of the clunky stock fan. where my dilemma arises is i dont know what fan to use and how to wire a thermostat up right and keep the radiator in place without using the stock shroud because the stock one is junk. any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated
find a fan/s that is/are roughly the same oem size. I think I got mine off summit. Hooks in super easy. Wire it to an accessory line somewhere, solder in a nice fuse, and push the temp sensor between the fins of your radiator. I put one on my typhoon, super easy. I wired mine with a cut off switch so I can manually turn it on/off in case the accessory was on and I didn’t want the fan to randomly kick on... we used to take it to the Driveins a lot. Most should have a built in thermostat you can turn, mines like a mini fridge dial, keep it set lower than stock. Been happy with it.

·
Registered
58 Posts

OK, If your Mechanical fan tore up a shroud... Cut the Top Shroud straight across, this way it will look "stock" to hold the radiator in(I bought one from pull a part 5 bucks.
I got the fans from FF Dynamics on Ebay, 235 bucks... came with Everything... I know that's alot of Money.. I wanted to do this once and not have problems..Had that setup for 4 years now with ZERO issues in the Georgia Heat.

·
Been there Done it
9,247 Posts
If your fan started hitting the shroud after one week did you consider the possibility that the water pump front bearing is bad? How do yo know the motor mounts aren't bad? Had someone power brake it while you watched the engine? In reverse also?
Those clunky old fans have worked for billions of miles on millions of vehicles with out many problems. If they are installed correctly and all the attached components are good. Ford used them on millions of Explorers w/o issues.
Just ask anyone who blew an engine in his 3rd gen Camaro or TransAm when the electric fans failed what they think of electric fans. No SES light or other warning. Until you hear the clunk, clunk, clunk.
Not saying e-fans don't have a place. I've got them on my 377 cu in ZR2. No room for regular fans. But I also have a controller that tests them with each startup.
I am saying on a stock truck it's a ghetto cure. Right up there with cutting a hole in bed floor to change a fuel pump.
Figure out why the OEM parts didn't work. Something isn't right.
With electrics you have, wiring, fuses, relays, motors, sensors, and controllers that can all fail.
Just my less than popular opinion.:censored:

Reactions: Rhotpursuit

·
time to get cereal
3,711 Posts
OK, If your Mechanical fan tore up a shroud... Cut the Top Shroud straight across, this way it will look "stock" to hold the radiator in(I bought one from pull a part 5 bucks.
I got the fans from FF Dynamics on Ebay, 235 bucks... came with Everything... I know that's alot of Money.. I wanted to do this once and not have problems..Had that setup for 4 years now with ZERO issues in the Georgia Heat.
That's a cool looking 2.2L, though you could probably get away with just one of those fans. J, N, and L bodies all used a shroudless fan about that size even with the V6 and less room for air flow.

I did mine for roughly $50, junkyard fan and thermal fan switch from a Ford Tempo. Old pic from when I still had AC. Says I took the picture 5 years ago, so 5 years without one issue.

Reactions: ScottyV1966

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I put one on my 2.2L about 8 years ago. It isnt hard. I fabbed up the mounting/shroud. Summit racing has thermostats that you can adjust the operating temp to open.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I like the pusher setup.

You have the Clutch Fan on?

When the fans kick on - how much does your Volt meter drop? :rolleyes:
Sorry guys....
Work called. Got to make the buck. Got to love lighting as a network tech.

:)I agree with oldeerslayer and ScottV1966: I wish I keep my hardware and added pusher.

I really like the power and MPG for a V6. Payed for and very reliable- more than my brother BMW in the ATL.

Since added fans to my 4.3L - I have had good travel. (Near 6000 miles in 6 trips)

Volt drops around .6 to .8 +/- with 16" & 10" efans. 10" pusher -but fan-draw from from thermostat kills the battery @ rest.

adjustable-thermostat seems the way to go. Each area and engine is VERY different. I am a bit over kill.

I have not got the relay pin to the key-on wire yet. Should keep batter draw down when it gets HOT and HUMID.

ya-know:
here in Bham we say " you don't like he weather-wait a day or two" and "enjoy glass of water in every breath!

Yep gets hot in Georgia too brother!

·
Registered
58 Posts
That's a cool looking 2.2L, though you could probably get away with just one of those fans. J, N, and L bodies all used a shroudless fan about that size even with the V6 and less room for air flow.

I did mine for roughly $50, junkyard fan and thermal fan switch from a Ford Tempo. Old pic from when I still had AC. Says I took the picture 5 years ago, so 5 years without one issue.
I Like your setup as well... I agonized over it for a long time! it was my son's truck and he wanted to use electric fans to make it up the hills in Athens, Ga with the A/C on. he's an Mechanical engineering student at UGA so he researched this conversion as well. It does help the TuTu when using the A/C. I went with buying a "Kit" so I wouldn't have to buy individual pieces and hoped they worked together, I know, I spent too much $. anyway... We rebuilt engine, 5 speed and had the rear end inner and outer axle bearings replaced. truck runs and drives great! And I get 26 mpg with it... Son has a Job near Athens and was driving all over the place then started having battery issues So..... I am fixing the S10 while he drives my 2014 cruze. somehow I don't mind!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have enjoyed and learn a great deal with this forum. It is good to sound-off from experience!

North Georgia-huh - Dalton, GA years back.

You are right..... I don't mind. S10 turns to be a fun and good ride.
I found the EFan does well when madding & Slow traffic.

I too have the battery issue with Bat light on/off at random.

Check the ground wires. That fix most of the "stay-on" Battery light. I put 4g on the motor and body....
that fixed most all of my electrical issue.
Now just to change relay connection to Key-on power.

Go Dogs
...and have a Happy War Eagle! : )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts