S-10 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, how goes it.
I installed an electric fan a few weeks ago using the wiring diagram from an S10 website and all seemed well. However, the fan turns on as soon as I turn the key. I have the adjustable thermostat, but even when I crank it up all the way, the fan stays on. When I turn the thermostat down, the high-speed kicks on (dual speed fan).
Could this be the fault of a bad relay, bad/wrong connection,....? Any help or ideas is greatly appreciated.

1985 2.8L w/ 1996 Taurus Dual Speed fan (like in the sig)

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Alright, I unhooked one of the wires going to the thermal switch (adj thermo), and the fan still turned on when I turned the ignition key, even with one of the wires disconnected. When I put the attached wire on the second terminal (still one wire connected) or when I put the second wire on either terminal (only wire attached) the fan turns on. Don't know if that information is any more enlightening, but it confounded me even further.

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
If the fan is turning on when you have it hooked up and you followed the instructions from s-seriesforum.com PDF file, then you have your defroster or AC on...You would have wired from AC postive to the relay to the fan.... You should be using 2 relays...

·
What's in a name?....
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The wiring diagram I used was the one from s-series (couldn't remember the website). I have two relays and removed my AC compressor assembly some time ago.
If I omitted wiring in the diode from the AC wire, would this cause the fan to run the way I've described?

·
Registered
16 Posts
This is the way dual speed fans operate. If you used the diagram from the forum to wire up everything is correct. The fan runs on "low" with ignition on and on "high" when tripped. In this case it would be your "turn on" temp with the adj. thermostat. I have a Taurus "dual speed" fan and that is why I chose it. For stop and go traffic "dual speed" is the shizit because it is constantly "on" at varying speeds depending on radiator temp. Let me know if this helps.

:rock:

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
Blaze1 said:
This is the way dual speed fans operate. If you used the diagram from the forum to wire up everything is correct. The fan runs on "low" with ignition on and on "high" when tripped. In this case it would be your "turn on" temp with the adj. thermostat. I have a Taurus "dual speed" fan and that is why I chose it. For stop and go traffic "dual speed" is the shizit because it is constantly "on" at varying speeds depending on radiator temp. Let me know if this helps.

:rock:
YOU DON"T WANT IT CONSTANTLY ON! That's what the thermostat switch is for... You will end up burning out the fan prematurly leaving it on all the time...It should only come on when A: The thermostat reaches a pre-determined tempreture.... or B: Turns on when the AC switch is hit...

In answer to his question about the diode, that just prevents back flow of power to the AC unit so that when the fan kicks on it doesn't turn on the AC unit.. He can omit the ac unit wiring and just go with the thermostat switch...

·
Registered
16 Posts
So how would this work in a dual speed setup since that is how it was designed? It has a certain # of runnable hours but thats what it was made for to the best of my knowledge.

·
Insane Network Engineer
5,965 Posts
Follow the instructions on s-seriesforum.com in the how to section.... Even dual speed fans don't run all the time, they are kicked on and off by the temp sensor..Just adjust the thermostat switch to come on at a temp and when it goes below that temp it will shut off...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts