S-10 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Norcal
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where is it exactly is the EGR to the right or left of the throttle body. How do i clean it how many bolts. if its clogged can my truck stall.HELP how does the restrictor work where does it go

·
Registered
619 Posts
what FI are you talking about

if the EGR sticks open it can cause a stall
2 bolts generally
the restrictor basically is a plate of metal that reduces the flow going into the intake manifold with a smaller hole

·
Early Member
3,136 Posts
If your EGR is clogged, you can clean it out with a pick and compressed air depending on the size of the carbon deposits. It will cause stalling and a rough idle if it is clogged.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
If you do indeed have a 2002 truck, your egr has no bolts holding it down, it just unscrews from the intake like a bolt. It isn't that hard to get to, if you have a/c it is behind that compressor to the left, you will need to disconnect the a/c harness and possibly disconnect the water neck to remove the egr. The restrictor screws into the intake and has a hole that allows about 10% of the exhaust gases to re enter the intake, then the egr valve simply screws into the restrictor fitting.

·
Banned
21,222 Posts
MINTSICK said:
If you do indeed have a 2002 truck, your egr has no bolts holding it down, it just unscrews from the intake like a bolt. It isn't that hard to get to, if you have a/c it is behind that compressor to the left, you will need to disconnect the a/c harness and possibly disconnect the water neck to remove the egr. The restrictor screws into the intake and has a hole that allows about 10% of the exhaust gases to re enter the intake, then the egr valve simply screws into the restrictor fitting.
are the 2000's the same way?

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
blacksls00 said:
are the 2000's the same way?
Yes, 96-2001 I think are the same way, now that I think of it 2002 may have been the year they went to the internal egr system, in which case Wht02x you cannot do the egr restrictor mod and don't need to anyways.

·
98 4.3 V6 5 spd black ext
82 Posts
98 Chevy

Yes, 96-2001 I think are the same way
I'm not so sure this is correct. I have a 98 chevy s10 with a 4.3 motor, and my egr does bolt on in the front with two bolts.

Maybe I misunderstood?

·
Registered
121 Posts
they all have an egr valve with 2 bolts, but the EGR pipe enters the intake through the side behind the A/C compressor, you will still see an EGR valve on the front of the intake manifold with bolts.

·
Gaaoooooo
13,572 Posts
All I know is in order to restrict the egr it requires no removing of any bolts, just unscrew the valve from the intake, I thought that was the actual valve? I do know about the 2 bolt piece on the front of the intake, I never thought of that being the egr valve though.

·
Registered
726 Posts
all 96-01 have an egr valve in the front of the intake and it has a wire harness coming off of it but the egr mod has NOTHING to do with that
that who sated the egr on 96- up is done by unscrewing the egr tube from the drivers side rear of the intake and then the egr restrictor/adapter threads in between the tube and the intake

now all 02/03 DO NOT HAVE and external EGR system and the egr mod WILL NOT WORK on these models

1 - 10 of 10 Posts