S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what would happen if i took off my egr actuator on my manifold and plug if off. will the check engine light come, or will effect the performance of the engine. i think is something with the egr system. its on the front the engine between the alt and ac compressor, and its got wires going into it

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Performance will not be affected. You may see a slight improvement in gas mileage. CEL will come on unless it has been turned off in the PCM.

If it has been deactivated in the PCM, then there is no need to go further, but you can block it off with a plate.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what is that deal and what does it do. i'm trying to put a sec alt on engine but i think its gonna be in may way of doing it

·
Registered
560 Posts
Performance will not be affected. You may see a slight improvement in gas mileage. CEL will come on unless it has been turned off in the PCM.

If it has been deactivated in the PCM, then there is no need to go further, but you can block it off with a plate.
Just doing it for aesthetic reasons.

When you mean block it off you mean it's okay to remove the entire system, valve and connections right?

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
It's one of the pollution controls. The recirculated exhaust gas dilutes the oxygen in the combustion process and reduces the temperature of combustion, thereby reducing the production of nitrogen oxides - one of the chief causes of smog.

·
2,679 Posts
It shouldn't pass inspection. If you can leave it in there and block the ports, then it shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Just to be clear, if I leave the EGR plugged in, but removed so I can block the port it will throw a code, (as in zip tie it somehow to something so it stays in the engine bay plugged in) but if I leave it in the manifold but manage to block the ports, it will not throw a code?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dunno if it makes a difference but my blazer is from texas and there pretty tough on smog checks

·
2,679 Posts
In most states that require safety inspections, the Cel must light W/ key in run, and go out when the engine starts (No codes), And all emisions equipment needs to installed and functioning.

·
Registered
498 Posts
So how can I block off mine on the 89 4.3 ?? Needs a new one and I ain't spending $80 for it ontop all the other crap I need right now

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
Just to be clear, if I leave the EGR plugged in, but removed so I can block the port it will throw a code, (as in zip tie it somehow to something so it stays in the engine bay plugged in) but if I leave it in the manifold but manage to block the ports, it will not throw a code?
From Diagnostic Codes, OBD1:
"32 - EGR System Failure - EGR open command did not change the fuel mixture when the command was given during off idle operation. EGR opening should cause the mixture to be slightly richer because of the low oxygen content of exhaust gas."

From the Diagnostic Codes, OBD2:
"P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow
P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficient Detected"

So, if you remove the EGR from the mounting, and tie it off to the motor, the lack of EGR will be detected by the PCM. If you leave it on but block the port in the manifold, that will also be detected. You have to get the EGR monitoring turned off in the PCM. Then you can also turn off the EGR function in the PCM OR remove the EGR valve and plug the manifold. However, any attempt to remove EGR without turning off EGR monitoring in the PCM will set a CEL.

·
2,679 Posts
So how can I block off mine on the 89 4.3 ?? Needs a new one and I ain't spending $80 for it ontop all the other crap I need right now
No, yours won't need the EGR vac line connected but it will need the controller connected. The controller is what the computer talks to on early vac controlled EGRs.
I'd tape or cap the the vac line going to the egr valve and make sure the plunger is closed on the EGR so that it doesn't leak.....

·
Registered (Ab) User
4,137 Posts
No, yours won't need the EGR vac line connected but it will need the controller connected. The controller is what the computer talks to on early vac controlled EGRs.
I'd tape or cap the the vac line going to the egr valve and make sure the plunger is closed on the EGR so that it doesn't leak.....
On an '89 you have to have a working EGR or it will set a code #32.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts