S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the EGR mod from S10Planet.. All I can say is for 40$ you are getting more than your $$'s worth!! So far I can see that my engine runs cooler (not a lot but a few degrees), there is more power in the mid to upper RPMs, no hesitation in the throttle response, engine seems to be running very smooth with this, so far fuel economy is great.. I will have to run a few tanks before I get a more accurate readout on fuel economy.. Anyways anyone who has 40$ laying around and wants a little extra power I would have to recommend getting this mod.. Easy install took me about 20 minutes (the majority of the time putting my belt back on the pullies)..

Very good mod!!

·
DownSouthGeorgiaBoy
280 Posts
Good, What a relief. I have heard mixed emotions on it, expecially after i ordered it(not here yet.)

·
SS Member
21 Posts
Where can I find them at????
thanks Eric

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is this something you add on? I have seen pics of people taking the EGR out of the intake manifold and cutting off a bit.

What exactly is the EGR mod you guys are talking about?

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you look behind your AC unit on the intake manifold is a pipe leading from behing the engine bay.. You have to take the AC unit off to get to it, then you unscrew the pipe from the intake manifold and put the gasket in between the EGR tube and the intake manifold.. Takes about 20 minutes to install (depending on how well you can change your belt).. You have to take your belt off to take the AC off and then get behind there plug the deal in and there you go.. This mod is probably one of the best 'cheap' mods I have done, besides the free mods it is well worth the $$!!

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I read somewhere that if you don't have the HPPIII and the 160 stat, that the check engine light may come on. Any truth to this?

·
AZX in PHX
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dont know about that, I havetn heard anything on it.. My Check engine light hasnt come on, then again I do have a JetChip II and the 160 t-stat..

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
my light came on...you are supposed to be able to drill it out in 1/16th increments to get the light to go off. I took mine off untill I get my hpp3...Put my 160 t-stat in too and the light came back on....damn computers...hehe...

·
Pusstang Killa
36 Posts
I have the egr mod, I don't have the PPIII (yet) and I don't have the 160 stat. And I surely DON'T have a SES light. Mod helped a little, but I'll notice it more once i have a new throttle plate without restrictor.

Nick

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
98S-10er said:
I have the egr mod, I don't have the PPIII (yet) and I don't have the 160 stat. And I surely DON'T have a SES light. Mod helped a little, but I'll notice it more once i have a new throttle plate without restrictor.

Nick
Cool, that's what I wanted to hear. Thanks. :thumbup:

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
01ZQ8 said:
Yea...the 01+'s seem to have the trouble with the light...
Not cool. That's not what I wanted to hear. :thumbdown

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
98S-10er said:

Nick
2001's have a different program so a new one has been made with a 3/16's hole instead of the 1/8th. This solved the 2001 thing. Now the whole come about of this mod was because of the throttle plate mod. The defuser ( Restrictor or whatever) is there to create a mix of EGR gas evenly throughout the intake. As air enters the intake if it is evenly open like with the defuser removed, since the EGR comes into the intake just in front of the TBI the egr gases stay forward creating and imbalance of the mix so the front cylinders lean some, create less power because the front cylinders get all the brunt of the burnt crap that cant refire while the rear cylinders dont get any. Causes a surge, hesitation up to 3500+rpm's. It does some improvement with the defuser in place, but it was to take full advantage of removing the defuser.

·
B-TOWN JIMMY
37 Posts
Will this mod work on 95 & earlier Vortec or is it just for TBI?

·
DownSouthGeorgiaBoy
280 Posts
I just got done installing mine but i havnt got to test it out yet. It was not as simple as i had planed. Hopefully it will be worth the work.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Just installed mine tonight. I did it without taking the AC off, too. Kinda a b!tch to get back there, but I was being lazy. :D

Anyways, got it all installed, reconnected the battery, cranked the 01 up, and voila no SES light, no drilling required. I was a happy mofo. :D

Thumbs up on the ass dyno! A bit more power and no hesitation. Great cheap mod! :thumbup:

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
wouldnt it be possible to just epoxy the hole shut and whenit dries, drill the hole out to a smaller size saving 40 bucks and getting the same results?.. Just curious...

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
You DIY whore you...:D

Um...I'm not sure if that would be very plausible to do. It's a pretty bigass hole.

·
2 Litre Terror
1,964 Posts
We have some stuff here at work thats like JB weld on f'in steroids. yes I am the DIY whore.....May have to try it...Definitely felt a difference though huh?

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Yeah, definitely. The main difference I felt was the lack of hesitation.

If you put a JB weld like substance in your EGR valve, you're a braver man than I! If that sh!t ever breaks, then off into the intake it goes!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts