41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
What about your tinfoil hat? :D

·
neex
140 Posts
Ironically I just bought a plate from that eBay store a few hours ago. I figure its a killer deal considering it comes with a new gasket which I'd have to replace if I were to just clean the EGR ya know?

I'll throw a picture up of it installed when it comes.

Sounda Barrier - What are the bolt heads like? Hexagonal socket drive? I have to buy a socket for that if they are.

Can a plate not be cut out of aluminum and a gasket made with black high temp RTV silicone? You could likely use the bottom of a coffee can and go for years before having any sort of problems. Just a thought. You won't get any show points for a custom billet cnc'd part burried beneath a dead valve.
Mine crapped out last night and lit up my cat like a candle. I'm putting a blocker plate in today after messing with these things for years I've had enough. Screened gaskets help the most but it seems that sooner than later a cleaning, rebuild, replace, or guzzle beer, swear, and repeat will be in order.

RIP EGR.

A.

·
Dig Or Die=I Die
2,022 Posts
Can a plate not be cut out of aluminum and a gasket made with black high temp RTV silicone? You could likely use the bottom of a coffee can and go for years before having any sort of problems. Just a thought. You won't get any show points for a custom billet cnc'd part burried beneath a dead valve.
Mine crapped out last night and lit up my cat like a candle. I'm putting a blocker plate in today after messing with these things for years I've had enough. Screened gaskets help the most but it seems that sooner than later a cleaning, rebuild, replace, or guzzle beer, swear, and repeat will be in order.

RIP EGR.

A.
That's all I did. Picked up a piece of scape at work, traced the gasket, then cut and drilled it. I didn't have to make it the exact shape as the gasket but work was slow so....wth right....

·
Dig Or Die=I Die
2,022 Posts
Oh shoot! I already posted those pics!

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have a cel and cant keep it from coming back, how can i permanently delete it, i have the blacl plate in, i have the gasket on right, i have the egr plugged on, it sucks when you're driving down the road deleting the code about every 10-15 miles

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,035 Posts
its because you have to get it deleted from the computer...go get a wait4me tune

your egr is most likely throwing a code constantly because you have it not hooked up properly since its not in the engine block due to the fact you have the egr block off plate installed...

did you also block off the big hose that runs from the exhaust manifold?? and the other end of it too...

just tune it out of your computer.
or just ignore it until you have to get emissions done.

·
Dig Or Die=I Die
2,022 Posts
Like Brian said. The EGR DTC has to be disabled in the trucks PCM. Getting a mail order tune will get rid of it and make your truck funner to drive. :)

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Since I'm doing a W4M tune and a few other motor mods at the same time I'm interested in doing the EGR delete. HOWEVER, my Sonoma is an '02 and for whatever reason the description on the eBay block of plate/plugs kit says it fits '92-'01 4.3s

Is there any reason why it WOULDN'T fit my '02 4.3? I haven't actually looked at the motor to see if everything looks the same on mine as what I'm seeing in your pictures but I still thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Ok well I answered my own question by searching a little bit farther here on the site and also looking at this picture that I found of my motor:

What I found is that '02up 4.3s DO NOT have an EGR at all, so there is no need to delete it/block it off. Saves me 40ish bucks :)

Now the question I have is this... behind the A/C compressor there is a valve of sorts that sticks up out of the intake manifold. It has 2 or 3 vaccuum lines going to it and it just twists into its holder. WHAT IS THIS?? I'm putting a Sanden engine driven air compressor on my 4.3 in the stock AC compressor location and my hoses coming out of the compressor are directly in line to with this valve. I can route them around it but if it is something that is not necessary (like an EGR valve) then I'd like to just get rid of it and free up the space for the air lines (which get very hot)

I'll try to get a picture tonight but any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Lifted 2wd & Bodied 4x4
13,484 Posts
Ok, answered my own question again LOL. Found out that it is something to do with the PCV valve. If I just vent the PCV to the atmosphere can I delete this valve jobber and plug up the hole in the intake? What would I do with the vaccuum line that connects to it then?

Thanks!

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
I left everything in place and had the EGR turned off by wait4me performance
You did it right R.I.. Just plugging the EGR port does not account for the lean-out routine when the ECM commands EGR function. If you're having rough idle problems related to a stuck or leaking EGR valve, replace it. Simply blocking it off causes a lean condition under cruise that is likely to shorten ex-valve and seat life. To different degrees, the ECM adds timing and reduces fuel when commanding EGR opening. To do it right, you should have the EGR function disabled in the chip/flash when you use a EGR block-off plate.
SOMEWHAT RELATED to this: GM ECM listers have long been using "hiway lean cruise mode" in which folks exploit the EGR function to squeeze extra MPG from a given engine - while keeping exhaust temps in a safe range.
mv

·
Dallas Anyone?????
422 Posts
not really. I was probably the first person to get my plate and plugs made by custom billet works. I talked to that guy forever does really nice work. He put the chevy bow tie on my plate and plugs they looked awesome when I got them.

·
Bold as Love
1,869 Posts
I think I'll go ahead and get mine eliminated when I get a W4M tune. Reburning burnt exhaust gases seems pretty pointless. Althought I know that in theory it allows for more timing and is inert gas, but we all know reality is different.

What about the air pump under the bumper? What the hell does that thing do? Something to break for a GM Dealership to fix?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm rebuilding the 4.3 in my 97 S10 and it has sequential port injection
I have already deleted the tube but I think my truck might have an aftermarket ecm... does anyone have a picture of the stock one and is it located under the glove box?

Oh and does deleting the egr vlave programming apply to 97 year?

·
Like a Boss
307 Posts
I had the egr cam on my 92 4.3. Unplugged the egr and it started running hot. Went to the boneyard got a egr pressure regulator for $5. Been running like a champ ever since. _

·
yeah buddy
45 Posts
So ive been doing some looking on here im planning on doing a Egr delete, TB mod, efans and a set of summit headers. So i was talking to my cousin today he works for chrysler and does alot of there tuning on there engines. he is very knowlegeable on tuning and air intake design systems, anyways i was talking to him about these mods and he asked me with the egr being deleted how the knock did. He said that with some engines they use the EGR system as a Knock suppressor. so im wondering if anyone has had knock issues after your delete?
PS if anyone needs a dynotune or programing in central ohio PM me i can set you up at his weekend shop

·
"factory freak"...
8,601 Posts
while EGR can have a bit of a detonation suppression quality,
it's not installed or used for that. ign. timing retard is the primary
method for controlling detonation.

on some engines, knock can sometimes occur when the EGR is disabled,
because the stock tune allows for some extra timing advance to compensate
for the slightly slower comustion burn speed that the use of EGR tends to cause.
on many newer control systems, if the stock tune can't detect the EGR valve opening,
it likely won't apply the addional advance tables either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
i have a 89 s10 iron duke 2.5 and on the first start up of the day or its been setting for a while it will idle up and the die when it idles down, also when i press in the clutch going down the road it sometimes dies like the starting up problem and check engine comes on every once in a while, any suggestions

41 - 60 of 68 Posts