S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My EGR is making my truck run like shit AGAIN. I have been reading threads all over the place about deleting the EGR with a custom plate that bolts where the EGR mounts and just stops the recirculation. I hear that it jacks up the cylinder temperature and can kill your exhaust valves or something.

If I remove the EGR, what exactly will the difference be performance wise?

What are the downfalls of doing this? Internal damage? I'm aware it will throw a code, I really don't care.

Anybody currently daily driving their truck with an EGR delete? Advice? Was it worth it? Links to plates?

Thanks a ton in advance, I can stand my truck when it runs like this, and cleaning it seems to only pay off for a few months.

·
WICKED 6 RACING
2,189 Posts
It won't hurt anything. My 92 been delete for years. On the open highway it gets a little better gas mileage beyond that nothing I can account for.

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is your truck now immune to random rough idling and stalling? That's what I want to do it for...my truck runs smooth and solid for months then out of nowhere I have the EGR "cam" at idle and the occasional stall out when slowing down.

·
Dig Or Die=I Die
2,022 Posts
Ive had my EGR deleted and disabled in the PCM tune like a year or 2 ago. I have had no ill effects because of it. I don't think there is a down side except for causing more pollution. Some might say you'll get worse fuel mileage but I don't see how. My mileage hasn't suffered any.

As from as the pro's go.... You won't get hot filthy exhaust gases pumped into your engine. Should have less hesitation when you accelerate. You won't have to worry about the POS getting clogged up and you got a little less sh!t in the way when you're working on it.

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to do it. What do you guys have covering the holes? You fab something up or buy something pre fab'd?

·
goin broke but n style
12,942 Posts
just put a solid plate b/t the egr valve and the intake. Leave teh egr plugged up and the CEL wont come on. I am building one for my 94 now for the long haul. i build a plate to go b/t but it was thin and i was affraid it would not last, so i am goin thicker. My CEL never came on. just leave teh EGR plugged up.

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay I get what you're saying, by leaving the EGR still plugged in, it wont freak out and throw a code, and by making a plate of some sort, it will keep the EGR from being used. Sounds legit. I don't have any metal working tools really, just a cheap ass dremel and JB Weld. Where would I get the proper metal and such to do this? I mean obviously the shim wouldn't have to be the same shape as the mounting area, just big enough to cover the ports and drilled so I can run the bolts through it...

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Shit, dont mean to double post

Are there any other things on the 4.3 CPI that can be deleted emissions wise? I don't care about the environment. I care about removing bullshit.

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ironically I just bought a plate from that eBay store a few hours ago. I figure its a killer deal considering it comes with a new gasket which I'd have to replace if I were to just clean the EGR ya know?

I'll throw a picture up of it installed when it comes.

Sounda Barrier - What are the bolt heads like? Hexagonal socket drive? I have to buy a socket for that if they are.

·
Registered
58 Posts

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright thanks man. That's prefect I have every allen size known to man from riding BMX bikes.

·
LadiesLoveAGuyInABowtie
69 Posts
ya i got that restrictor too it helped but i still rev up to 1500 rpm at stoplights for no reason it pisses me off im wasting gas (ive alread tried everything tps, iac, maf, checked for vacuum leaks). Im thinkin about getting the full block off plate and just takin out the egr but i havent done anything with my computer i dont care if it throws a code but will my engine go into limp mode?

·
Registered
368 Posts
I see smog failures for possible High NOx and missing EGR on the visual. Performance-wise there's no EGR command at idle or WOT. The EGR lowering the combustion chamber temperature allows for higher timing advance, so EGR delete will result in lower possible advance.

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My block off plate came in today. Ripped the EGR out completely (does throw the CEL on), and installed the plate. My truck runs buttery smooth, no sputtery acceleration or odd behavior in the lower RPM's like before. Literally solved the problems I was having SO FAR. Obviously I only got to test it for one day, so we'll see if anything comes back over the next week (could be coincidence that it is running perfect knowing these motors). I will probably extend the wiring for the EGR plug and just mount it to the firewall or something to make sure my ECM doesn't shit a brick or something.

alvisoroadsters: I do not have emissions testing in Illinois due to the year of my truck, no worries there.

·
terrible. take a lap.
4,035 Posts
cool, i had my egr code deleted but havent done anything about the block off plate until now, i just bought this one from that ebay company someone posted...THANKS!

·
Sometimes I'm mean...alot
1,348 Posts
I left everything in place and had the EGR turned off by wait4me performance

·
-JOE-
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So far it still is running good. However! My temp. gauge kept going from normal to max'd out and lighting the CHECK GAUGES light. But it would go back down after a minute or two, then back up. Idk if that has anything to do with it. I'm plugging the EGR in tomorrow to eliminate the CEL and see if it drives different with the plate.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts