S-10 Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Time to bulk up!
4,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you want to actually be productive in the gym, READ ALL OF THIS!!

I'm sure lots of us lift weights. We do everything from 3 sets of 10 to drop sets to Wang Chun Style training. :haha: What we DON'T do is really measure progress. How do we know if we are actually improving? You might say 'Well, if I can do 3 sets of 10 with the 75s instead of the 70s, then I'm improving." That is true, but maybe you are getting more rest which makes it easier to lift the 75s over the 70s. After a few years, it is hard to make that 10 pound jump in dumbbells (5 for each hand). I recently came across probably the most simple, yet best training system for most of us. This will improve fat loss, strength, and muscle mass.

Now, you are probably thinking "WTF? You can't do that. It's harder than hell to build muscle and lose fat at the same time."

You are correct. It is hard to do. But, with the right type of training, post-workout recovery, and nutrition, its all possible. For now, I'm only going to tell you about the workout part. I'll get to diet when I have the time ;)

Click here for the EDT Training article

If you don't want to read the whole article, I'll just break it down a bit.

First off, you don't go to failure on your sets. When you go to failure too early, you start fatiguing. You DO NOT want to achieve fatigue, but manage it. You want all of your reps (for 3/4 of the way at least) to be good, strong reps. I know most of us go to failure and think we are doing good, but WE ARE NOT!

Next, your workout won't be longer than 50 minutes. That includes a 5-10 minute warmup. So, you'll spend less time in the gym, all (or most) of your reps will be close to maximal output and you'll do more work (Work = mass x distance, if I remember correctly).

Now, each workout consists of two 20-minute time frames separated by a short (5-10 minute) rest period. In each time frame, you'll perform two exercises, for a total of 4 exercises per workout.

Next, In each time frame, the two exercises are performed in alternating fashion, back and forth, until the time frame has elapsed.

After warming up the first 2 exercises, select a load that approximates a 10-12 RM for each exercise. Ideally, the weight used for each exercise should be equally difficult.

So, for an example, if you can bench 200 pounds for 10 reps, use this weight. For each "set", only do 5-6 reps. That's it. Rest for 10-30 seconds, then go over to, say, the pulldowns. If you can do 100 pounds for 10 reps on the pulldowns, use the 100 pounds, but only do 5 reps. These reps will be strong reps and nowhere near failure. Once you are done with the pulldowns, rest 10-30 seconds, and go back over to the bench and repeat.

Get a stopwatch. You want to time this down to the seconds. Its like a football game. Each quarter is the same and whoever has the most points at the end of the time wins. Its kind of the same concept. You want to get as many reps in the 20 minutes as you can. Also, after each "miniset", write down how many reps you did and add them all up at the end of the workout. That is the number you have to beat next time.

Generally, most people will find it most effective to do higher repetition (but not maximal effort) sets and shorter rests at the beginning, and then gradually progress to less reps per set and longer rests as fatigue accumulates. Like I said, you might begin by performing sets of 6 with very short (10-30 second) rests. As you begin to fatigue, you'll increase your rest intervals as you drop down to sets of 4, then 2, and as the 20-minute time limit approaches, you might crank out a few singles in an effort of accomplish as many repetitions as possible in 20 minutes.

Like I said before, do not perform early sets to failure, or even near failure. Charles Stanley (the guy who made up EDT) recommends a starting point of doing 1/2 of what is possible (e.g., 5 reps with a 10-RM weight) at the beginning of the time frame. As the time limit approaches however, you'll find yourself working at or near failure as you attempt to break your rep record.

Click here for routine... 1/2 way down

If an exercise puts a "bad" hurt on your joints, find a substitute. I don't like doing leg extensions, so I substitute a different exercise that hits that muscle. It just seems bad on my knees.

If any of you have ANY questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask. This is the simplest and most effective way of training I have ever done.

Good luck!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts