S-10 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay heres the story.. got the edc from phildo he was having problems with it eating belts, well his tension pulley was nearly touching the edc pulley when belt was tight, he thought the pulley could be either brought away from compressor or have a tensioning system so i thought I would try the easier of the options first to see it of it works before pending alot of time on something that doesn't I was just wondering how everyone else was doing theres to keep from eating belts. for those with v belts that is heres a little pic to show what i mean

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
you have 666 post... thought i would tell ya..

and i have no comment on the edc thing

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
well ya knew it was eating belts... you will get it figured out...

too bad you aren't representing the devil anymore... i got a kick that i noticed that

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
zaney444 said:
okay real storry..phil sold me junk:(

lol no I just wanted to be able to sleep tonight with 667 posts
lame...LOL

like i said last night, i think you're gonna have to adjust that pulley and bring it closer to the clutch, i think it's too far out, and might hit the alternator bracket.

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nah the arm I made pivots in both places and can slide up on the bracket I can place it as close as it was before or extend it nearly 2 1/4" from that location

·
Registered
964 Posts
You might want to scrap the whole static tensioner pully and try to use an active tensioner instead. It probably wouldn't be that hard to make a bracket to support a spring loaded tensioner and try that route since it would adjust tension when it is needed.

Personally I think the AirLift tensioning design is all wrong. If you take a look at any vehicle 99% of the time the tensioner is located on the belt after the compressor, not before. So basically the tension on the belt should be applied on the return (bottom) side of the belt. Problem is when using a static tensioner it won't adjust when the compressor kicks in and causes slack in the belt. (I think that's why Airlift put it on top)

Phil I hope your not just going to live with electric comps... I think the problems with your compressor could have been worked out.

·
Banned
18,005 Posts
You might want to scrap the whole static tensioner pully and try to use an active tensioner instead. It probably wouldn't be that hard to make a bracket to support a spring loaded tensioner and try that route since it would adjust tension when it is needed.

Personally I think the AirLift tensioning design is all wrong. If you take a look at any vehicle 99% of the time the tensioner is located on the belt after the compressor, not before. So basically the tension on the belt should be applied on the return (bottom) side of the belt. Problem is when using a static tensioner it won't adjust when the compressor kicks in and causes slack in the belt. (I think that's why Airlift put it on top)

Phil I hope your not just going to live with electric comps... I think the problems with your compressor could have been worked out.
oh, i know they could have been worked out. i just got tired of little things with it. but i'm not worried about speed. i'll have that covered still :D

as for the tensioner, i've told him he needs a spring loaded one, and he knows it. he's just tryin to get a better angle on the tensioner than what it had originally.

·
Slammedcruiser98
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is a good point I may try fabricating a bracket to allow the tensioner to be applied after the compressor, if that doesn't work then a spring tensioner is my only option it will be no problem to fabricate I was just looking for what people had already that was working for them to get some ideas.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts