S-10 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, since I just realized a few seconds ago that gm has the ecotec 4.3 with 283HP and I'm looking for a v6 swap into my truck what are the differences between the 4.3 vortec (my whip is a 96 s10 btw) compared to the ecotec 4.3? It sounds like a very good swap instead of a v8 to me (hp is plenty enough, mpgs etc) what is your guys opinions on the ecotec4.3? What are the differences between the new and old?

·
Been there Done it
10,027 Posts
The new 4.3 is what is called a blank sheet design. The engineers who designed it copied nothing from the old engine(s).
They are entirely different.
The wiring will be a major stumbling block since that is entirely different on that new of an engine also. And then there is the direct fuel injection which operates at 2200-2300 psi.
I'm sure a swap is possible with a matching 6 speed automatic, but it will be expensive and require a lot of first of it's kind fabrication.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The new 4.3 is what is called a blank sheet design. The engineers who designed it copied nothing from the old engine(s).
They are entirely different.
The wiring will be a major stumbling block since that is entirely different on that new of an engine also. And then there is the direct fuel injection which operates at 2200-2300 psi.
I'm sure a swap is possible with a matching 6 speed automatic, but it will be expensive and require a lot of first of it's kind fabrication.
**** that's a bit of a damper on the plans, I don't really want to do a v8 swap, but building and turboing the vortec 4.3 seems stupid for the power to price ratio. Guess I'm cursed with a sluggish v6 s10 till the end of time :/

·
Been there Done it
10,027 Posts
What do you have against a V8? They used to say "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Then it got changed to "there is no substitute for technology".
With a 6.0 or larger LSx you can have both.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What do you have against a V8? They used to say "there is no substitute for cubic inches". Then it got changed to "there is no substitute for technology".
With a 6.0 or larger LSx you can have both.
I don't really like the idea of moving the rad up forward more, or beating the firewall to make room, extra weight increased gas mileage, sure the sound and power is awesome but the mpgs are a killer to me, mother had an obs 1500 with a 350 and got around 8mpgs, and realistically that's the only engine id use for a swap cuz it's free

·
Engineer, Member SAE
54 Posts
Im told the Ecoteks have a valve letoff on part cruise throttle that fails in the 100K mile range. I expect a maintained engine to last 300K so a major breakdown in the 100K range is totally unacceptable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts