S-10 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok ecm experts I have a good one that's not s10 related and barely gm related.

IH scout 2, putting a gm i6 in it. Looking at making it fuel injected. I know I can easily do a center mounted tbi on a single carb intake. That's easy, proven, and not out of the picture yet. My problem is I like to over think and make things hard. So.....

I want to start with a 250 or 292 (I have a 250 just looking for bigger). What I would like to do is take a 3 one barrel intake and run 3 single barrel tbis. This will allow better fuel delivery to outside cyls and prevent fuel pooling in intake common on single carb intakes. Due to siamese ports MPFI is out of the question. Adaptor plates easy so no worries. I would like to stick to gm off the shelf parts for the most part. I do understand custom tune is a given. My thinking is the center tbi will control the IAC and block that off on the outside 2. I doubt I can do that with the TPS. Most likely the ECM will have to see all 3 and be able to run it. Same problem with injectors, 3 of them the ecm will have to control. Is there a GM ecm that can even do this? Asking you guys. I haven't researched yet but from my limited know I see having to run a MS or custom one off ECM. Not a big deal just trying to keep it simple.

If I win the lotto I can always graft 2 aluminum v8 heads together, get rid of siamese ports, and look into port injection. Got some other crazy off the wall ideas. This might not even go anywhere, we might just drop a simple fuel injected v8 in it. Just thought it would be a nice break in the "how do I hop up my 2.8" or "what wrong my truck ticks" threads.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Only one TPS is needed. The ECM just needs to know where the throttle position is, it doesn't care which throttle plate that comes from.

FWIW, I've ran two IACs off a PCM, on two separate throttle bodies (Crossfire set-up), but wouldn't go for 3.

Will there still be a common log between all of the cylinders, that will allow a single IAC to feed all cylinders from the center throttle body? If not, you will need to use a remote IAC and plumb some tubes into each pair of runners, to feed all cylinders idle air feed.

I don't see much issue with running 3 injectors, though you'd want to base the firing scheme off a single throttle body. Using the conventional TBI injector firing scheme, will cause the injectors to alternate in firing, which would be an odd set-up, electrically speaking. Would using a pair of throttle bodies be possible? It would simplify the set-up from a control aspect immensely.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I just thought of using 3 singles cause I already have one.

Something like these aint out of the question if it would be tons easier.

I've also seen a dual 4 barrel intake but can't find a pic. As you can see most I6 are simply log manifolds with a carb opening slapped where felt needed. Its not uncommon to see homemade rigs of all kinds of weird stuff. Couldn't find it this morning but I seen one somewhere a guy made that had 6 weber side drafts on it.

(I'm well aware not each one of those manifolds are for a 250 they just pics to give an idea what's out there)

·
Boozebag
10,092 Posts
Neo,
I know you've heard of these guys:
http://www.cliffordperformance.net/
They make a complete FI system for 6 cylinders ($$$).

I built a 250 Chevy 5 years ago (it's still sitting on an engine stand) It has 307 flat top pistons, balanced, big cam, lump port head work, valve springs, 2.02 and 1.60 stainless valves AND I have a Brazilian Weber side draft intake manifold for it (I have the carbs, but they are not jetted for this set up). I also have the Clifford headers and a Clifford 4 Bbl intake in case the Webers don't work out (I'll probaly run this to break in the engine, then mess with the Webers). It's set up for a Camaro/ Firebird T5.
Ok, enough of that...
How about this?
http://www.carcraft.com/techarticle...a_turbo_thrift_inline_six_engine/viewall.html

It sounds like you want something different for injection. The TBI is going to be pretty tricky.
There is always the 4 BBl intake with Edlebrock Varijection...

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The problem with clifford is that are hit and miss the last few years. I did look into their setup but on inliners forum nobody has anything good to say about it.

I had forgot about the vette crossfire setup. I might run 2 2.8 2barrel tbis on it since I also have those and it'll save money. This is more of a toy to piece together trying to use parts I got. Our 59 chevy mud truck is rusted out so this is the new mud toy we don't care about. The engine was set in the frame yesterday and welded up mounts. Its gonna be powered by a 4 barrel until/if this comes together.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
I would try to find two single barrel TBs, for throttle bores from the 2.8L TBs will cause off idle throttle response difficulties, as in WAY more flow than is needed, and will cause a really on/off throttle response.

Just as a point of reference, the Crossfire set-up uses two single barrel TBs, on 305 and 350 cid.

BTW, you might want to check out www.gearhead-efi.com for more in-depth and odd conversion advice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kept looking at this thread but not opening figuring I wouldn't know anyhow, now I open and see that it's a scout I must chime in,

What happened to the original engine?!?!!?!

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Raven ill look into that. Most likely the more I look at it I'm just gonna single 2 barrel tbi it and keep it simple. Just being a farm toy I can play with oddball stuff later.

Iwillnc, 4 banger the kid tried to spin it over 5k in the mud. If ya know anything about binders ya know factory they aint high rev spinners. The block is windowed and worthless. When we went to look at it I was told it was supposed to be a rust free 800 (its a rusted out 2) and supposed to be running. When we got there guy tried to crank it and found out his son had blown it. Lucky for us he gave it to us after finding out that and we found all the rust. 99% of the rust is the floors and that's an easy fix (we had already started). Btw aint my first donkey ropin with an IH, 2nd or 3rd either lol. We had a half cab I used to drive around the farm when I was 8-9 years old before the body finally fell off it. I just have this old 250 that doesn't smoke that needs a home, also got a 327 but it smokes so that made my choice which one to use. I love scouts but being a chevy guy even if I could find one (and I been looking) road worthy it would be bowtie powered.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Well that makes me feel a lot better, if you were gonna trash a 345 or something I mighta been a lil upset
My dad and grandfather used to sell international everything, I've been trying to find a scout myself but having a very hard time doing it seems they're all in the west

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Yes, the single 2 barrel TB will be the easiest way to get the engine up and running.

The most difficult part will be triggering the ignition control module, but I think there's a different dizzy that can be fitted, from a later GM engine that does the trick. There are guys on gearhead-efi that will know better.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a fan of any of the IH engines but I'd try to sell it on binder planet before I scrapped it.

Guys take a hei dizzy for them and convert the ingition mod from a 4 pin to a 7 and it works with the ECM fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts