S-10 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Addicted to boost
767 Posts
I'm running an eBay turbo. [email protected] I just saw another car craft article about them going 10 seconds on twin eBay turbos with all eBay parts. I think that theres alot involved in setting up a turbo 4.3 and the quality of the turbo is a very small factor in the big picture. Having a well built system then providing it with enough fuel and then tuning it is the real important stuff. I'm pretty sure if I can get some tires on my truck and get better than a 2.3 60' that I can get my stock 4.3 with an eBay turbo deep into the twelves.

·
Addicted to boost
767 Posts
What I'm trying to say is that I think the eBay turbos really aren't As bad as people think. I've seen several people have good results with them. And I think car craft did a great article about how even they were surprised.

Don't worry the plan is in motion. I'm working on tires first then the plan is to max out the 2 bar. I'm putting together a list and starting to search out parts for a 3bar setup that may or may not include switching to E85. Next year should be fun.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well, i traded a guy some stuff for a stock sy/ty turbo, but i still dont see what is wrong with the cheap ebay ones. the mitsubishi turbo is made overseas just like the ebay ones. i read the write up car craft did on ebay turbos. 22lbs, non intercooled, :eek: pretty impressive actually. i think the tune is what is gona make this engine reliable....

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea, i know the guy who did two conversions already. he has the HP tuners. i can do the conversion but am no good at tuning...

·
Premium Member
1,144 Posts
well, i traded a guy some stuff for a stock sy/ty turbo, but i still dont see what is wrong with the cheap ebay ones. the mitsubishi turbo is made overseas just like the ebay ones. i read the write up car craft did on ebay turbos. 22lbs, non intercooled, :eek: pretty impressive actually. i think the tune is what is gona make this engine reliable....
mitsubishi turbos are'nt ebay turbos just cuz they're made in japan.if you talk to anyone who knows turbos you can't discount them and label them like an ebay turbo.go to this site and click on mitsu turbos.

Forced Performance Turbochargers: Starion/Conquest 14G Turbo

·
'01 Noma
569 Posts
I ran an ebay one for 2 summers (paid $160 or something brand new). Apart from being on the small size, it ran very good. But only after maybe 10,000 km, the shaft play was making me nervous.

Upgraded to a much larger Turbonetics BB turbo and haven't looked back!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Nothing wrong with Ebay turbos, I have had good luck with them.
sometimes and circumstances benefit from using them. Especially an economical build once everything is done and you get used to turbo tuning then you can step into the Bad
boy turbos...

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Just don't buy a universal kit huge money pit!

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
When you look at the cost to get started that helps a bunch.
I used the gt45 on a 4.8L and made 488 rwhp and 502tq limiting factor
was the SVO42lb injectors. Turbo was 240.00..... sure keeps the cost down
they will get you in the turbo game.....

GN guy-- what are your intensions for your turbo build?
I would look for a little bit larger turbo and one that requires an external
wastegate.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
GN guy-- what are your intensions for your turbo build?
I would look for a little bit larger turbo and one that requires an external
wastegate.
basically it will be a street build, im not into racing or anything. i have a set of sy/ty exhaust manifolds and a stock sy/ty turbo. the OP was made before i found a stock turbo. but i still dont see anything wrong with the ebay turbos for a street aplication....

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
Why not run the stock SyTy trubo for now if you have it? With stock 30lb injectors it was capable of mid 12's in a Syclone.
Saying "ebay turbo" is like "engines from planet earth".
There are lots of good and bad products on ebay. The people having good luck with a given turbo would do fellow listers a favor by mentioning the seller's ebay name.. Same for those folks who feel they got hosed. Promote the good merchants and they will survive to be there next year.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Why not run the stock SyTy trubo for now if you have it? With stock 30lb injectors it was capable of mid 12's in a Syclone.
yea, ill run the sy/ty turbo for sure. i was just half tempted to get one from ebay just to compair them. for a buck and a half how can you not. seems like the majority of the people who posted here hasnt had a problem....

·
Older Than Dirt
402 Posts
I'd bet you that the syty turbo has bigger wheels than that turbo, as well as the buick T3. It also is more efficient at the so-called low boost range (8-12 psi) than typical Garret compressors. Looking at the compressors, it is fairly evident which ones have more capacity base on the size of the compressor inlet and comp wheel size, but the exhaust wheel tell the same story. It's hard to see it clearly, but I removed the ex-housings on (1) a SyTy turbo, (2) a GN turbo and (3) a Thuderbird T3-60 turbo. Here they are next to each other.
http://www.enzoco.com/mike/wheels/
There are lots of other factors, but I don't think you'll be happy if you downgrade to that ebay turbo you mentioned.
It's a given that the OEM spec turbos (GMC Syclone, Buick GNT-Type, etc) had to make it through the vehicle manufacturer's warranty period, so there was a quality control component that is not present in a no-name ebay unit, but I'm still curious about the good experiences of listers with larger inexpensive ebay turbos. Like a dirt-cheap T70? A smokin price often justifies a part with a shorter projected service life in your science experiment. :cool: It's not like you don't have other components to throw money at.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
true, i still need to choose a intercooler yet and install the marine intake, exhaust manifolds and all the cooling and oil lines. its just been too darn cold out lately :rolleyes: it looks like the TD06 has one extra fin on the exhaust turbine also....

1 - 20 of 33 Posts