S-10 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been looking into eBay turbo kits and I was wondering if anyone had tried them before and what was all needed besides the kit. Also I am willing to delete my ac but idk if I need to with the kits available?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ve been looking into eBay turbo kits and I was wondering if anyone had tried them before and what was all needed besides the kit. Also I am willing to delete my ac but idk if I need to with the kits available?
Moved to Blowers & Bottles.

Some engine/transmission info would be helpful, along with the year.
Its a 2002 v4 2.2l

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am sure you right bought the s10 I little while ago so does anyone know about the eBay turbo kits and tried them on their truck

·
Been there Done it
7,132 Posts
Even with a "kit", it still will require some good fabricating skills and more than likely some welding ability. Those kits are not a simple bolt on and go. If they were everybody with a 4 banger would have one.
Do the ads mention anything about fuel pressure regulating and tuning? That can add quite a bit to the expense.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven’t seen anything about regulating fuel and tuning in the ad although I know something of the sort whether it’s in the ecu or getting a different fuel pump needs to be done. Also I know that fabrication must be done to install these kits I know that much.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Most of those kits are poorly engineered and have a mish-mash of parts. They rarely include everything you need, and quality is usually pretty sketchy.

If you want more power, a V8 swap is a better option in terms of bang for the buck.

If you really want to do a turbocharged engine, find someone with experience with forced induction and let them design a system for you. For the turbocharger itself, and some advice around that, I've always used GPopShop in Springdale AR. They can help you select the appropriate turbocharger and compressor wheel/housing for your goals and application.

You'll also need an exhaust manifold and down pipe to match the turbo, and an air intake (filter and piping), an intercooler, and boost plumbing from the compressor outlet to the intercooler and from the intercooler to the throttle body at the engine. There will also need to be oil supplied to the turbo, and an oil drain line back to the oil pan. Some turbochargers also require coolant connections.

With any forced induction on a tutu, you'll need a MAP sensor that can sense boost properly, and you'll need to "tune" the PCM with new fuel/ignition maps to handle the boost. This is not optional, and must be done for any forced induction on the 2.2L 4 cylinder engine.

If you want advice and opinions about any specific kit, post a link and we can look at it for you.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you very much
95-02 Chevy S10 Cavalier T3/T4 Turbocharger Turbo Kit Blue+Manifold+Bov+Wg+Gauge
On eBay thanks for looking

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Thank you very much
95-02 Chevy S10 Cavalier T3/T4 Turbocharger Turbo Kit Blue+Manifold+Bov+Wg+Gauge
On eBay thanks for looking
Is this the one you're looking at?

I see a few pieces of conflicting information in that listing that would make me nervous about considering it. It's listed for both the 2.2L DOHC engine in the Cavalier and the 2.2L OHV engines in the Cavalier and the S10. Those use entirely different exhaust manifold flanges. A manifold that fits the DOHC engine won't fit the OHV engine, and one made for the OHV engine won't fit the DOHC enine. The "See full item description" goes to a page which claims that kit is only for the DOHC engine. If that's true, it won't fit an S10 engine at all.

From past experience, I'd say that one is set up to make about 250 hp at maybe 10-15psi of boost. I don't have the efficiency maps for those wheels handy, and I can't call my expert right now to verify that, but it looks similar to what I've used on a 2.0-2.5L 4 or 5 cylinder DOHC engine to hit a 250hp goal in the past. No turbocharger will work efficiently up to 30psi of boost and still be efficient at only 7psi of boost. The claims in the description are total BS. There's no way that turbocharger could be cranked up to 30psi or higher and make 450hp. It would be so far off it's efficiency peak and the boosted air would be so hot, you'd melt the boost plumbing if you tried that.

If you seriously want to learn about turbocharging and forced induction, I'd recommend that you read some good books on the subject. One of the best is "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's a little old, and some of the information about specific products might be a little dated, but thermodynamics hasn't changed since he wrote it, and much of the engineering information is still the way things are.

·
time to get cereal
2,287 Posts
With any forced induction on a tutu, you'll need a MAP sensor that can sense boost properly, and you'll need to "tune" the PCM with new fuel/ignition maps to handle the boost. This is not optional, and must be done for any forced induction on the 2.2L 4 cylinder engine.
The PCM won't read positive manifold pressure, so this won't work.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
The PCM won't read positive manifold pressure, so this won't work.
Two questions about that. First, are you sure about that? Did GM use different PCMs in the cars than in the trucks? Because it seems like the cars can use an alternate MAP sensor and deal with boost. There were even some boosted 4 bangers from the factory in the cars.

Second, what's the solution to that? Do you need a PCM from a GM car that's capable of operating with boost? What donor would be best? A Cobalt? A Cavalier/Sunfire?

Oh, and here are a few more resources for @Bods. These are more for the Ecotec DOHC engine, but the principles are the same for any boosted engine.

·
time to get cereal
2,287 Posts
I'm not completely sure, as in I don't have firsthand experience, but I've read multiple threads where that became an issue in getting it to run correctly.

I think the best solution would be megasquirt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone for all the things to look into and consider I will look into reading the books and if anyone happens to find a kit they seem worthy or a variety of part that you think that would work to boost my truck pls lmk and thanks again

·
Registered
218 Posts
I suggest you check out SIE Power. These guys have been putting these kits out for quite a while and they work.
Not cheap, but they are well engineered and bolt on. This kit is definitely on my shopping list.

Jake

1 - 18 of 18 Posts