S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of buying an intake to dress up the engine a little. I've researched both blazinlow.com and this site concerning the cheap ebay intakes. The one concern I have about buying the ebay intake is the deal with the chrome tube heating up. Does the tube heating up cause any engine damage? One of the threads I read said that the air moves too fast therefore the tube heating up is insignificant. Has anybody who uses the ebay intake had any major problems with it?

·
The Dave Inc.
11,720 Posts
the material doesnt make much difference at all heat wise...probably just makes the tube itself cooler to the touch or hotter to the touch...like most f-body cold airs ive checked out were cool to the touch after long drives but my stock intake is always blazing hot

·
Banned
2,270 Posts
jblaza said:
I'm in the process of buying an intake to dress up the engine a little. I've researched both blazinlow.com and this site concerning the cheap ebay intakes. The one concern I have about buying the ebay intake is the deal with the chrome tube heating up. Does the tube heating up cause any engine damage? One of the threads I read said that the air moves too fast therefore the tube heating up is insignificant. Has anybody who uses the ebay intake had any major problems with it?
i got my intake of Ebay for $70 total w/ S/H, it came w/ full 3" aluminum tubing, and a 6" K&N air filter. I looks really good and i would recomend it..

·
1988 S15 Member
794 Posts
jblaza said:
Get the one from intake_power on ebay. It is cheap and works good. Havent had any trouble and it has over 5,000 miles on it. You will notice more power gains in the mid to top end. Like from 60 mph in overdrive if you press down on the gas about 1/2 or so it will not shift down and it will pull steady at a good clip all the way up. Here is a pic of it on a yellow 2003 s10....

·
Registered
222 Posts
that's the same one I have, no complaints and much cheaper than K&N

·
Registered
79 Posts
yeah i have the same one also and my only complaint is that the grommit that the air temp sensor fits in desint feet real snug into the pipe but it just put some rtv around it and its fine now. other than that it works great for the price!

·
Registered
37 Posts
JROD Jr. said:
Get the one from intake_power on ebay. It is cheap and works good. Havent had any trouble and it has over 5,000 miles on it. You will notice more power gains in the mid to top end. Like from 60 mph in overdrive if you press down on the gas about 1/2 or so it will not shift down and it will pull steady at a good clip all the way up. Here is a pic of it on a yellow 2003 s10....
how could they be good for only $26.50..........i would get one, but the price almost seems too low

·
1988 S15 Member
794 Posts
ToTaLeD said:
how could they be good for only $26.50..........i would get one, but the price almost seems too low
well its your choice. people use them and have little to no problem at all. my dad has it on his truck and my bro has it on his. no problems and over 5000 miles on each. no problems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I picked on up from intake_power on ebay. The instructions we poor at best. He included a tie wrap to connect the adapter to the intake tube. The tie wrap was to short. THe adapter was to big on the side it adapted to the intake. I had to use a large screw type hose connector to get a solid mount.

I emailed may problems to him but go no response.

Now the intake is solid and seems to get me a bit better throttle response.

95 4x4 Blazer 4.3 with 235K

·
Registered
11 Posts
blazerbob91 said:
I picked on up from intake_power on ebay. The instructions we poor at best. He included a tie wrap to connect the adapter to the intake tube. The tie wrap was to short. THe adapter was to big on the side it adapted to the intake. I had to use a large screw type hose connector to get a solid mount.

I emailed may problems to him but go no response.

Now the intake is solid and seems to get me a bit better throttle response.

95 4x4 Blazer 4.3 with 235K
i have a 95 could you post a quick picture thanks

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
AEM brute force intake is the only way to go for power and looks IMO

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Pft, guys, comon. Theres no need to spend anymore than what the eBay intake guy charges for an intake. It has mandrel bent polished aluminum, nice blue couplers, and a friggin chrome tipped air filter. You really cannot go wrong with this intake, seriously.

I installed one on my friends 2000 ZR2 and it works great! When coupled with a 2.5" exhaust, the truck feels totally different. The throttle response is great and the exhaust note is amazing.

Do it for less than 30 bucks!

-Nick

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Have any of you bought an intake from Chrome_intake on e-bay? I wanted to get the one with two tubes and the K&N filter. Intake_power doesn't seem to have the intake with two tubes.

·
Mine Sweeper!
6,512 Posts
I've got an ebay intake from intake_power as well. I got the one that only had one piece of shiny tubing cuz I wasnt too concerned about the look of it and everything. Love it, put over 7000 miles on it now and no problems. Built my own heat shield for it out of an old cookie sheet that I polished shiny. The mechanics liked the intake cuz it made their life alot easier when installing my new radiator.

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
yeah, if you take the time to do research the intakes on ebay don't change the throttle body hat, and they don't have heat shields, but they do love to place the filter right next to the radiator.....also they usually only have 2.5 inch piping....you'd almost notice the same gains hacking the airbox honestly.....

·
Registered
990 Posts
SummerWolf said:
yeah, if you take the time to do research the intakes on ebay don't change the throttle body hat, and they don't have heat shields, but they do love to place the filter right next to the radiator.....also they usually only have 2.5 inch piping....you'd almost notice the same gains hacking the airbox honestly.....
ok...... mine didn't come with a heat shield(easy to make) or T/B hat(not neededb on a vortec IMHO), but it looks just like the first pic in this thread, and it is for sure 3" piping, i measured before install, it was less then $50 after shipping

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
wow.....the AEM has 4 inch piping, a giant air filter, heat shield and a smoothed out bigger diameter throttle body hat that smoothes airflow directly into the throttle body....plus it gives easy places to mount your nitrous nozzle!!!! get what you want you'll do it no matter what anyone says, but I'd gaurantee the AEM would perform better.

·
1988 S15 Member
794 Posts
SummerWolf said:
wow.....the AEM has 4 inch piping, a giant air filter, heat shield and a smoothed out bigger diameter throttle body hat that smoothes airflow directly into the throttle body....plus it gives easy places to mount your nitrous nozzle!!!! get what you want you'll do it no matter what anyone says, but I'd gaurantee the AEM would perform better.
totally agreed but could make that whole setup for half of what you can buy it for.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts