S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
harlem body kit has to go
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i've got a 2000 s 10. and after fumbling around trying to make my own intake it turned out to be a mess. so i took out my air assemblie thing (part that goes over the fan shroud. and realized there this extra air box on there for some reason. i removed it and realized you can simply plug it up with a rubber plumbing fitting from home depot and get the air straight to your engine. maybe this will help someone out.

·
More Cowbell
3,186 Posts
u can also cut half of ur airbox too...keep the half that faces ur engine to block some heat ...all tips that have been discovered a whiles back

·
Registered
12,215 Posts
sound.. most people like everything to be quiet :-/

thats like saying, why don't they put a high performance muffler on ..

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
Removing it does basically nothing. It doesn't affect flow at all, since the air is just passing over the opening for it and not directing through it. If you were able to make the intake totally smooth there you may help the intake flow a tiny amount better due to the less turbulance introcuced by the smoother intake wall. But just capping it doesn't change that. I'm not 100% sure why it is there, but my guess is that the turbulence of the air in the intake was causing to to resonate at a frequency people could hear, and the aditional box there changes the air volume and therefor the frequency of sound it would produce. It may also serve as a water trap for rain that has made it's way up the intake tract.

There is also a tube into the box that sits on the valve cover and attaches to the throttle body. Many people remove this and claim more power. All it's really there for is to keep the intake quieter and also direct flow a little better towards the throttle body. I removed mine and found the intake to become much louder, but no power gain. In fact, I seemed to have lost some power after doing it. There is a large hill heading out of town that I can hold about 50mph up floored in 4th gear (I usually just cruise up at 40 mph in 3rd, that's the speed limit anyway). After removing the tube I found that floored in 4th only mustered 45-47 mph, opposed to the 50 mph on the dot that I had always gotten before. Plus it was a hell of a lot louder while doing it. I put the tube back in.

One place I did notice a difference was hacking up the stock airbox. The small front snout is very restrictive, I basically cut the front 1/4 of the box off so there is much more room for air to enter now. That, along with a drop in K&N gave me a small amount of noticable power, plus a small (~1 mpg) gas milage increase.

The problem with the stock intake is the 100 mile long track of bends and turns and accordian tube the air must travel. The box isn't really restrictive at all once modified, but there needs to be a straight shot from there to the throttle body for a real difference in power. I'd like to get some tubing bent up someday to utilize the stock box (just to try it). But for now I am sitting on $2 and can't afford it (college priorities, rent, food, truck payment, beer, err, something like that).

·
Registered
25 Posts
It is for sounds really, but remember if you put anything in the resonantor that goes straight to the motor, no more filter! so make sure whatever you put in there is put in good cause if not you could have a problem!!

·
Registered
296 Posts
did they change the engine for 2003? Mine has an auto trans and the 410 rear, and its plenty powerful, I was coming up 95 the other day and running a little over 90 without knowing it

thats windows up and no AC on of course, but I just dont get it, this thing hums down the road like its a weak kneed v-6, rather than a strong 4

(of course, with a sticker price of 20,587 bucks, it BETTER do right, lol)

·
Registered
300 Posts
shit must have fixed somethign because to get my truck (a 95) to do 90 i have to downshift to 4th and floor it, even then it takes alot of road to hit 90

·
Do I need a gas mask?!
5,780 Posts
jm_2thow said:
shit must have fixed somethign because to get my truck (a 95) to do 90 i have to downshift to 4th and floor it, even then it takes alot of road to hit 90
i never had muh of a problem hitting 90... it wasnt th fastest but it was steady

·
Always Dreamin Big
2,300 Posts
I can get cooking along on the freeway pretty good, but if I try and get up to speed quickly it takes FOREVER. Seriously, it takes like half a minute pinned in 4th to go from 75 mph to 95 mph. But if I'm just cruising along I have no problems holding 90 (unless there is hills).

·
Registered
25 Posts
ya you can hold it at 90 until you turn on the ac and then your screwed. I got a 2000 and if you want to pass someone you got to turn the ac off if you wanna pass someone in the next 3 miles!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cany anyone post some pics of what theyve done please? And does thew noise difference sound good or bad like does it sound like it has an aftermarket air intake?

·
Ahhhhhhhhh Satisfying!!!
5,174 Posts
they didn't fix or change much after 98......my 03 seems just as quick as my 98......rather, just as slow

Caleb

·
Nagaremono
144 Posts
haha, all you guys chopping up your stock intakes. Just go buy a kit or something, tearing them apart will do nothing. you still have the same filter, same ammount of piping bends, filter is still in the same location, whats the point?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts