S-10 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 85 s-10 im plannin on baggin and bdroppin. Can i just cut the rubber inserts out between the bed and cab mounts and weld the cab and bed to the frame? Will this give me a body drop in essence? I wanted to do it but cant cut the entire truck up. Sorry if its a stupid question. Thanks guys!!!

·
I <3 SPARKS
7,977 Posts
Yeah, that would be terrible.

What is it you dont wanna cut? The floor all out? What are you worried about? Your truck is a 1985....

You could SFBD the cab... and regular BD the bed..

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could you explain to me what these 2 methods stand for and what they mean? I might like to try to tackle it....can you just give me a brief explanation of both of them. Thanks a lot i really appreciate it.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
SFBD = Stock floor body drop, that is where you build a new frame using smaller box tubing which makes you lay body. And regular body drop involves cutting the mointing points of the frame (cab floor, bed floor) and raising them or lowering the area around them to make you lay body. This is just a small part of it there are a lot more details of a body drop than just what I said but thats the basic idea.

·
Afterhours Admin
27,121 Posts
I think that if you do that the cab will rattle itself apart. And youd still need to do work on the bed because only the cab has body mounts, the bed is bolted directly to the frame.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could i just cut the cab mounts off....and instead of welding the cab right to the frame maybe puttin a smaller piece of rubber in between the 2.....so maybe i can get like an inch or inch and half of drop??? I just thought if i did that i could get SOME drop without doing much modification. If not, and i did a regular body drop, do i just cut out along the floor of the cab and then what happens, they body just drops around your floor??? Or your floor raises up??? I just dont get it. Well thanks for your help with this.

·
Still plays with sparks
457 Posts
Easy Method???
Lesson #1.......nothing great was ever easy

that one is free....lol

and yes, the body drops down over the floor....If you dont want to do a full body drop you can just raise the foot wells (where your feet sit) and tranny tunnel an inch and you can get just about a 2" bd by lowering the body mount brackets on the frame....later, Jon

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
Honestly man if you are going to do it, do it right. Don't half ass something because it is easier, good things never come from taking the easy way out. I think this is something you should definitely research a bit more before you dive into a project like this, or were you planning on another shop doing the work for you? Is your truck bagged or are you trying to do like the old skool hot rod guys and just body drop it for a lower stance? But like I said if you are going to do something, do it 100% and never cut yourself short by taking the easy way out. You will end up screwing yourself in the end and things are never as good as you had wished.

·
Bolt-On Body Dropz
2,617 Posts
I'm sorry I just noticed that you said you will be bagging it soon...I read it yesterday and didn't look at what you read today until after I had posted.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I know the ride will be shitty but CAN i just remove the mounts from the cab and weld the cab directly to the frame....giving me a 2 inch drop??? I know easy isnt the best way out but i just wanna know if this CAN be done. Thanks for the consideration guys!!!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Im sorry guys for all the stupid questions......then if i just do a normal body drop....i can just take out the seat and carpet...make measurements...then cut the seam to the firewall and the floor....cut up 3.5 inches and cut same in the rear....lower the horns up front....and drop it down and reweld......is that all im goin to have to do or do i gotta take the heater out, remove the dash, and do other things like that??? Thats all i wanna know is if its as straightforward as i said or if i gotta remove the dash and the heater and do all that too......Thanks for your patience guys i really appreciate it!!

·
Draggin Body Member...
1,923 Posts
You dont have to do anything, and no offense but with these questions I dont know if you should be doing anything like this.

Unless you have fabricating skills you will loose the heater and A/C (if it has it), generally you would take the dash, carpet, heater box, seats and everything else out of the interior, but its not as straightforward or as easy as it sounds.....

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jon said about channeling the tranny tunnel and lowerin the cab mounts on the frame to get a 2 inch drop. If i was to do this, would any other modifications (other than the frame horns being lowered) be necessary to complete this task??? Thanks for your patience with me fellows

1 - 17 of 17 Posts