S-10 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to swap out my bad 700R4 in my '91 4.3 for a good one I have. What's the easiest way to pull the tranny in my driveway? I know the bell housing bolts are tough to get to, so what's the easiest thing to do? Pull the motor/tranny together? Unbolt the front body mounts and tilt the cab back? Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You haven't said if it's 2 whl or 4x4. First thing to do is unscrew dist cap and move forward. Now if it's 2 wl it's just like removing any GM trans, remove driveshaft, crossmember and tilt trans down at rear, will give just enough clearance at firewall to get at bell housing bolts with long extension and swivel socket, if it's 4 x 4 there is 2 ways, This is more intensive, as before dist cap and now remove console and boot over gear shift for transfer case and disconnect wiring harness for indicator. Exhaust has to be removed, mainly Y-Pipe in the way. You remove both drive shafts, linkage and electrical connectors and vaccuum lines and trans cooling lines. You can remove trans and transfer case together in one unit by tilting it down until transfer case rests on torsion bar crossmember and undoing bellhousing bolts then move back as far as you can and tilt bellhousing down first. I prefer to remove transfer case first then remove trans normally. Hope that helps some in a nutshell. can be done in driveway if you get truck up on stands high enough. Have fun!

·
Registered
156 Posts
removing the trans to install a new clutch my 2.5 5 speed was easy did it in about 10 min. now installing it was a different story took about 3-4 hours.i removed mine with the bellhousing

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. It's a 2wd. I've pulled/installed the motor/tranny out of these trucks a few times, always bolted together, but never dropped the tranny by itself. I think I'm just gonna drill some holes in the firewall to get to those upper bolts. lol just kidding ;).

·
Registered
426 Posts
With my truck I was able to weasel my way to all the bellhousing bolts using either combination box wrenches or sockets and swivels with extensions. Tight fit and it is a v8 but its good enough. Good luck

·
peace and big boobs to u
6,026 Posts
when i used to work at a tranny shop doing push and pulls i had a 3 ft extension and a set of snapon swivel sockets and i could drop the tranny support in the back and lower the ass down enough to reach all of the bell housing bolts from underneath easy weasy, make sure you disco torque converter first

sequence was
batt
torque converter
drive shaft
trans cooler
linkage
any electrical and speedo
trans mount
bell housing
and shake it loose
iirc its been a few years

my $.02 worth

also unscrewing the cap and rotor is sound advice

p.s. easiest way is to pay someone else to do it, just saying

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
the top bolts first out last in, with tail hangin you can yank it around abit for clearance with extension and swivel socket

·
Hardhead
1,002 Posts
"I think I'm just gonna drill some holes in the firewall to get to those upper bolts. lol just kidding ;). "

This is exactly what some people do. They pull back the carpet, drill two holes and the after they've removed the bolts they reinstall everything in reverse order and fill the holes with body plugs.

·
Registered
436 Posts
First time I ever pulled a trans was my 2.8L 5 speed. Did as mentioned above, took me about 4-5 hours to pull and about a day to put back. The second time I did it on a buddies truck it took about an hour to get out and about 3 to get back in. It's only bad the first time you do it.

Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts