S-10 Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched threads to delete egr valve but most seemed to relate to later models. I have an 85 2.8 with carb and want to delete the egr. Is it as simple as removing and plugging vacum lines and put a plate on the exhaust manifold? Or is there more to it to avoid check engine light, etc.? Sorry if this is a dup question.

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Its gonna throw a code just removing it. Not sure how to remove it on the older ones like that. Not really sure what they use to turn the ses light on. If its a simple ecm then it has to be tuned out but who can do that or even has the stuff I have no clue.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm a little confused. Your 85 shouldn't have a ecm. At least none of the ones I owned, 86 was the first year for the 2.8 to have an ecm.

Somebody on ebay sells a block off plate or just make one yourself. I made a plate and capped/plugged the vacuum lines.

Reactions: dhsanti

·
New Old Timer
378 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think it does have an ecm. Also, I just checked it this morning and instead of bolting directly onto the exhaust manifold, there are three steel tubes, on coming from each exhuast port, off of the manifold. So looks like it might be pretty easy or just install a set of hedders. thanks

·
Registered
631 Posts
I had an 83 2.8 stick,made my own block off plate,advanced the timing a little and got a smoother more powerful operation.Do you have emission inspections ?

·
New Old Timer
378 Posts
txranger, those are for the Air Injection Reactor (A.I.R.). They inject fresh air (oxygen) into the hot exhaust stream coming out of the motor, to help burn the residual hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have an '84 2.8l that I took the EGR (A.I.R.) pump off. Since I also have a '92 engine in mine with serpentine belt, all i had to do was remove the pump, block off a few vacuum hoses, and where the lines go into your manifold I used some pipe plugs usually used for plumbing. I believe they were around 1/4" plugs (not sure though because I did this back in 2005).

also had to change the serpentine belt to a unique size (305k6)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
EGR and A.I.R. are two very different things.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Datchev: 2.8s didn't have ECMs before 86, unless they were Cali or High Altitude Emissions. Check the carb for a mixture control solenoid on top, if there isn't one it's federal.

Txranger: if you do block the EGR off, you will need to mess with your timing and your fuel mixture to make it run properly, I believe you'll have to richen it up just a bit and you will for sure have to advance your timing about 2-5 degrees. The downside to this swap is that it's gonna make it damn near impossible to pass emissions testing if you have it, unless you have access to a 4 or 5-gas analyzer to tune with before you go in for inspections.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I searched threads to delete egr valve but most seemed to relate to later models. I have an 85 2.8 with carb and want to delete the egr. Is it as simple as removing and plugging vacum lines and put a plate on the exhaust manifold? Or is there more to it to avoid check engine light, etc.? Sorry if this is a dup question.
To delete the EGR plug the vacuum line from the EGR valve to the EGR solenoid.
Make sure you plug both the solenoid and the valve.
As long as the solenoid electrical connections are left intact it won't throw a code, because it only checks for continuity.:)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
To delete the EGR plug the vacuum line from the EGR valve to the EGR solenoid.
Make sure you plug both the solenoid and the valve.
As long as the solenoid electrical connections are left intact it won't throw a code, because it only checks for continuity.:)
This is not true. EFI equipped S-series that use the O2 sensor feedback and other sensors to determine if the EGR is actually functioning or not. The early systems are pretty forgiving, so many people don't generally experience CELs, but there is no reason to remove an EGR valve, it does not hinder performance, and helps with drivability, along with reducing detonation.

·
Registered
64 Posts
This is not true. EFI equipped S-series that use the O2 sensor feedback and other sensors to determine if the EGR is actually functioning or not. The early systems are pretty forgiving, so many people don't generally experience CELs, but there is no reason to remove an EGR valve, it does not hinder performance, and helps with drivability, along with reducing detonation.
it is comlpetly true 86 through 88 or so even efi only check the continuity of the egr solanoid! and removing the egr will keep you're engine cleaner! if you don't believe me remove youre intake and look!
the egr does not help drivability at all!
if u have 86 or so with efi the only emission i would keep is the pcv valve! unless you live in are where they check emmision like california or portland, or

·
4x4 v6 blazer
7,521 Posts
Everything 86+ is efi. 86 and 87 had a 2 year only ecm, the 88+ all swap out. You can use the 88+ in a 86/7 the pin outs are different, swapping a few wires and it will work fine.

The functions are the same and nothing different how they use the readings. What raven told you is the truth. The info you are passing on sounds like old outdated info people belived when they still didn't understand efi completely.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
it is comlpetly true 86 through 88 or so even efi only check the continuity of the egr solanoid! and removing the egr will keep you're engine cleaner! if you don't believe me remove youre intake and look!
the egr does not help drivability at all!
if u have 86 or so with efi the only emission i would keep is the pcv valve! unless you live in are where they check emmision like california or portland, or
orly?

Then why is it that a plugged EGR will set a code? It's still connected electrically.

The EGR most certainly helps driveability, it helps reduce ping/detonation at part throttle accel, and cruise, and keeps the engine temps cooler.

The EGR is not the only thing that will cause the intake to be dirty, the fine particles in the air that get past the filter, along with the oil mist that gets around the PCV will also contribute to the intake getting dirty internally, and I would even say more so. If the EGR was the only thing causing the interior of the intake to be dirty, then there would be clear paths from the EGR inlet to each runner, which everytime I've looked into an intake, I've seen the darkened interior all the way to the throttle body. FWIW, I've seen plenty of intakes that have never seen an EGR valve, that look just as dirty as the ones that do.

·
Registered
64 Posts
orly?

Then why is it that a plugged EGR will set a code? It's still connected electrically.

The EGR most certainly helps driveability, it helps reduce ping/detonation at part throttle accel, and cruise, and keeps the engine temps cooler.

The EGR is not the only thing that will cause the intake to be dirty, the fine particles in the air that get past the filter, along with the oil mist that gets around the PCV will also contribute to the intake getting dirty internally, and I would even say more so. If the EGR was the only thing causing the interior of the intake to be dirty, then there would be clear paths from the EGR inlet to each runner, which everytime I've looked into an intake, I've seen the darkened interior all the way to the throttle body. FWIW, I've seen plenty of intakes that have never seen an EGR valve, that look just as dirty as the ones that do.
im only talking 85.5 to 87 the code is caused by vacuum leaks.
the egr causing carbon buildup in under intake manifold in the egr passage is specific to that intake, so you cant compare to other models

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
im only talking 85.5 to 87 the code is caused by vacuum leaks.
the egr causing carbon buildup in under intake manifold in the egr passage is specific to that intake, so you cant compare to other models

So what if the code pops up with no vacuum leaks?

(this aught to be good...)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a little confused. Your 85 shouldn't have a ecm. At least none of the ones I owned, 86 was the first year for the 2.8 to have an ecm.

Somebody on ebay sells a block off plate or just make one yourself. I made a plate and capped/plugged the vacuum lines.
Which of the vacuum lines did you have to cap off i have a 86 2.8l

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.