S-10 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
have any of you installed an e-fan on your trucks, and if so were there any noticeble improvements?

thanks

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
I don't know from personal experience but supposedly it's one of the best boltons that you can get.

·
The Tool All The Pro's Use!!
303 Posts
I'm going to be doing this mod myself over the summer. It's supposed to put less strain on the engine, thus giving back some of the parasitic power loss from the clutch fan. I've seen and heard that they're good for anywhere from 5-15 Hp (outside of manufacturing gains, actual dyno proof). The only down side is that it adds more draw to your electrical system, so if you're running a sound system you might notice something, but it'll have to be a high end system for that.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Best mod Ive ever done. I went to a 180a alternator and that cleared up the electrical drain.

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
eFan is excellent, plus the alternator whines now.. it's called artificial power :)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Ok sort of simple question. I got the optima red(only item in ), march pullies still waiting for paint and a efan hidden under my jeep should i shop for a bigger alternator or should it be good

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
if you add a high amperage load to your alternator (an e-fan), wouln't that make it harder to turn your alternator. power out must be equal power in , right?

so it's all the same, you might loose drag on your fan pulley but will gain drag on you alternator.

...just correct me if i'm wrong.

·
Registered
13 Posts
you are correct that power in equals power out all day long but the alternator is more efficient at making the electric power to power the e-fan , while the clutch driven fan with the belt has much higher drag on the engine. So I guess you could say that the clutch fan is not as efficient on power consumption as the e-fan. Also most alternators produce more power than you need so you are also just tapping some of that power that you have always been making just not using.

Now this could all be alot of :bs: but its what I think anyway. Hope this helps.

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
calgaryss said:
Only if you are planning on a huge stereo.
Tagged by calgaryss,,, that's exactly it--- you can keep the stock alternator, it might whine a little, but there's no massive need to upgrade... I have the stock one and my eFan, plus the sound system, and it's fine...

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
1991_s10:

i guess you're right, an electrical motor is generally more efficient than a mechanically coupled pulley.

btw. what brand of fan are you guys using and how much?

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
14" thinline by carquest, $160 with thermo control system (aka relay and thermostat) and UPS discount.......

·
xtreme nutcase
487 Posts
does it come with a set of brakets, or do you have to fabricate your own?

·
WRX Style
368 Posts
Mine came with everything I needed--- brackets, pads, instructions, fuses, etc

·
Registered
13 Posts
Joe Villa:

Summitracing.com has a Flex-a-lite Black magic fan that is specifically made for the S10/sonoma/blazer/jimmy 82-97 (course I don't see why it wouldn't work for newer trucks) for about $190 (part number flx-60). It comes with everything you need: thermostat, a/c relay, and brackets for installation. Just another one to look at. .. I didn't know about the thinline by Carquest sounds a bit cheaper.

·
Fever for the Flava
444 Posts
about how hard was it to but it in, also where do u splice the relays and stuff?

·
Rollin on 20s
60 Posts
joe

joe,

Really... you could tell it improved power that much?.. the fan isent even on all the time though?..

1 - 20 of 32 Posts