S-10 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a little anxious yesterday when leaving and when I yanked it, I broke it...I broke the cable attached to the handle so I know I will have to replace the whole handle but my question is, has anyone done this before and do you know how hard it is? Does not look to be hard but you never can tell with some stuff. Any known problems I might run into?
Thanks guys

·
Registered
214 Posts
Ive done the same thing... On the cable there's a little metal catch on the end of it that slips into a fork just under your dash, you can get a good handle almost anywhere, i went out to a u-pull-it and got one that looked almost brand new for $3... Its really simple. When you replace it though you cant have your brake on because it'll make it really hard to do. Just look under your dash and you should see the fork Im talking about and then just slip the catch into it, BUT remind you your handle does have to go through the dash before you do it, i made the stupid mistake of not putting through, why? i dont know but make sure you do, haha... any way, I hope you get it replaced!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I saw the little thing cause I had to pull it by hand to get my brake off since I broke the handle and the brake was still on. The question I was really wandering about was if that little latch peice on the end of the cable would fit through the hole or if I would have to take anything but I guess it got through there the first time somehow haha.
Thanks man, I guess I will run by AutoZone and grab one tonight.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
I don't know what yours is like (no year) but I replaced the one in my mom's 84 with one from a 97 Astro. Two tabs you have to squeeze on the back of the handle behind the dash hold the round part in. You should get a whole handle with the round part and cable and all. Snap the handle in and the lever can be pushed far enough forward to hook the cable into.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, didnt make it by Advance last night. G/F was bitching about wanting me to come home and when I get home I see that she had a dozer out there and had got the guy to completely level out the big ass drop off in our backyard that I was bitching about...Now I have a straight shot into my green field from my back porch!

·
Good Bye SonomaST
7,145 Posts
hahaha thats not to bad of a idea.
mine broke about 4 years ago, still is broke, its a nice theft detterent, the little arm up in there is hard to find, then without knowing what to do with the arm once u find it, its hard to release the parking brake :D so i just left it broke, i have left my truck running a couple of times and one of my friends would hop in it to take it for a spin around the parking lot, but couldnt figure out how to release the parking brake HAHAHAHAHA, jokes on u bitch!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts